wont update itunes directory in Traktor scratch pro 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wont update itunes directory in Traktor scratch pro 2

I keep my music on an external hard drive, and this is where my itunes directory is set to in itunes preferences. However, if I open itunes without the external plugged in, sometimes it resets to a directory on the laptop itself, and does the same in Traktor...

I knew this but must have opened it without the external plugged in by accident, and now it has reset the itunes directory address in Traktor. When it did this in the past, I just changed the itunes directory in itunes once, and then back again to where I want it, and it updated in traktor....however now I cant change it in traktor,...doesnt matter which location I choose in itunes, it just stays with a default one in traktor.

I checked the itunes xml file and at least according to the date it was last updated it should be up to date (ie time of last modifcation matches when I changed the library location)

I'm using itunes 10.4.1
    + Traktor scratch pro 2 , version 2.0.3

thanks in advance for any suggestions! most welcome!

Default update

have just upgraded to itunes 10.5 - will go through the same procedure and see if this makes a difference!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Try checking consistency on your track collection and then when it tells you files are missing click locate and select the hard drive.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

thx for the suggestion photojojo - how weird is this -now when i try to play a track that i know is only on my hard drive, it plays it with no problem, but in Traktor still shows my itunes directory as being somewhere on the laptop ?! I guess it's not a problem if it accesses all the tunes i need...just really odd?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

If the external HD is plugged in then Traktor will play the tunes from the Traktor collection because the paths arent broken.

The problem stems from opening iTunes without the HD connected. iTunes will always create a new XML in the iTunes folder on the internal drive or in fact create a folder if one isnt present.

This shouldnt affect Traktor though. If Traktor cant find your itunes XML it just wont load iTunes via the node.

Have you changed the location of the iTunes library in Preferences in Traktor to the ext HD..?

Hi Karlos - no, it doesn't let me change it, it lets me go through the folders and only let's me open things, but its the data on the xml file it needs right?

so it only lets me choose an xml file, and for some reason that xml file is telling traktor my itunes directory is the one on my laptop

and yeh, the problem stems from opening itunes without the HD connected....however i did this many times in the past (until I realised it was messing with traktor) and all i had to do was change the location in itunes, and then change it back to the one I wanted, and traktor would update...

however now, i cannot change the itunes directory location in traktor preferences at all! very strange

Traktor just needs to know which folder the XML is in. It doesnt need the actual XML.
    So it would be the path to the wherever iTunes is writing the XML in the folder that is assigned in iTunes which i presume is on your ext HD.
    Does that make sense? Starting to confuse myself ;-)

I seeeeeeeeeee !! hahah that makes perfect sense to me now! great, thanks everyone!

Let us know if you fix it... If not we can do some more head scratching and get it sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast