Advice for playing with a bigger named DJ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice for playing with a bigger named DJ?

So I have a gig in a couple of days, which is at a three story venue. I will be playing on one floor and the other DJ will be playing on another. So the problem becomes that it will be some big competition getting a crowd, since the DJ is basically one of the country's biggest names. So what can I do to make things a little more enjoyable on my floor?

Not trying to be a douchebag, but when going up at the same time as a big name, you have to make yourself get noticed!

I'll be playing some Glitch Hop, Electro House and Dubstep with some Progressive House bangers. and he will probably go the oldschool route of House and Progressive House.

Adjust your music selection to the crowd... period.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Not trying to be a douchebag, but when going up at the same time as a big name, you have to make yourself get noticed!
    Bad idea.

Trying to rock a crowd of 10 is not a good idea (unless you're Ugly Duckling).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Bad idea.

What do you mean?

Playing bangers to an empty room looks much worse than playing chilled stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Bad idea.

he's not opening, he's playing in the same venue on a different floor.

And my advice? Just wait and see who comes. Honestly. You aren't going to draw a crowd by playing certain tracks. People are being drawn before hand to see this "big name." You're there to get the people who either A) don't like the other guy b) don't want to see the bigger act c) some other reason.

Just see who shows up and play accordingly. You will not get yourself noticed by trying to compete, because you can't. It is not possible. You have no brand to sell, you're just another DJ. That's not to say you can't play good music or hits but don't at all try and compete. It just won't work. Just read the crowd, see what they want.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by looneygeorge View Post
    So I have a gig in a couple of days, which is at a three story venue. I will be playing on one floor and the other DJ will be playing on another. So the problem becomes that it will be some big competition getting a crowd, since the DJ is basically one of the country's biggest names. So what can I do to make things a little more enjoyable on my floor?

I'll be playing some Glitch Hop, Electro House and Dubstep with some Progressive House bangers. and he will probably go the oldschool route of House and Progressive House.
    Who are you playing with?

I dont know about some of you guys, but I dont go to hear a big name, I go to hear a good set, if it sucks it sucks I dont care who you are.........and to be honest these big names are not playing anything I like, I prefer the unknowns..........

Tech Guru

play different music than the other guy. try to get your friends to come out. about all you can do man

Use an interesting theme and stick to it. Those who like the theme will hang around, those not will move. It works the other way around, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast