My Kontrol S4 jog platter melted itself!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Kontrol S4 jog platter melted itself!

I don't even know how to begin explaining this.

My left jog platter has melted!

Leaving the S4 disconnected since I last used it, the S4 has stood quietly on a table without being used. When I picked it up this morning, the platter looked like this:

There has been no hot items on the S4 and it hasn't been connected. Fortunately only the platter is damaged and I was able to remove it. Nothing underneath looks damaged. The consistency is still mushy but not hot, much like syrup. The only thing on top of the S4 was the S4 USB cable and (unplugged) charger. As you can see, it has left an indentation to the right. That's how soft the surface is.

I don't have ANY idea how this has happened, but I would like to purchase a new platter spare part. This has me left me wondering so much.
    Check out my pages on SoundCloud and MixCloud

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

Tech Wizard

Default Re: My Kontrol S4 jog platter melted itself!

After using it, did you put the cables and charger on top? The chargers are normally hot after use.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

I did, but not sure if I put the charger on top of the jog. It's hot, but it's not THAT hot or I would have burnt my hand. If not the quality of the plastic is really shitty.

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

was it left in the sun ?

Tech Wizard

Well it appears to me that it was either sun or the hot charger. It doesnt need to burn your hand to melt plastic over a long period. They take a long time to cool so the constant low level heat could have done it. I'd do a re test where you place the warm charger on the good part of the bad jog and See what happens since its already ruined. It even looks like there is kind of a line melted in it which would make sense from the charger's shape. Since not the whole thing is melted evenly, I would rule out the sun.

Tech Wizard

Actually take back what I said about the line, I think I looked too quickly.

Tech Wizard

Could it have been a coffee mug?

I really appreciate all the investigative input!

No, it's not the sun. There's no sun in Sweden this time of the year. Also the window blinds were shut. It's 25° C in the apartment. No coffee either.

At first, the indentation on the jog made it look like it was made by a soldering iron or a hair straightener, but of course it wasn't. It took me a while to figure out that it must have come from the USB cord (I picked it up off of the S4 before I noticed the melted plastic).

I've emailed NI about this. Thus far, the most plausible theory would be the hot charger one. Thing is though, the charger isn't all that hot when in use. I find it odd to believe it can melt plastic when unplugged!

My money's on a hot charger. It'll take a bit of time to heat and warp the plastic, but chargers can stay warm for a good while after unplugging.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    My money's on a hot charger. It'll take a bit of time to heat and warp the plastic, but chargers can stay warm for a good while after unplugging.
    It seems you might be right. Coming to think of it, the jog platters are actually made of vinyl (at least they feel like vinyl discs to the touch). Amazing accident this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast