Eeeek?! Which 13" macbook??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eeeek?! Which 13" macbook??

Heya's. Ive decided I want to make my booth footprint a little smaller so im going to get a dedicated 13" macbook. But I dunno which one to get..

Im looking at either:
    • White macbook 2.4ghz spec'd to 4gb ram with a 256gb SSD

or
    • Current entry level MBP (2.3 ghz i5)

**The only reason im considering the white mac is because it'll be about $200-300 (AUS) cheaper than the MBP**

Im about to get maschine, so it will need to be able to run that and TSP2 at the same time without a hitch. Also looking at maybe doing some sets with ableton again (also using maschine).

How do people think they will perform?

ps currently using 15" MBP 2.8ghz core2duo 8gb ram
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Tech Convert

In my experience buying macs I always buy the best processor i can get. If you take care of it, it will last at least four years but programs get bigger and better in that 4 years so its always great to have room to grow.

I switched to a MBP and the metal case just makes me feel safer. Personally I think shelling out the money for the MBP is totally worth it because of the same argument above.

For reference I have a 15" MBP and I have had Chrome, Traktor and Logic open at the same time with no problem.

So buy the best you can now because you will be happier in the future

Tech Mentor

The white macbook has been discontinued, i'd go with a pro anyway new processing power means it'll be able to run programs for longer (eg when new versions get released).
    Production - 24" iMac. Digidesign 003+ Rack. Genelec 8020A Monitors. UA 710 Twin Finity Preamp. Many Microphones.
    DJ - 15" MBP. Traktor Pro 2. Audio DJ 2. Kontrol X1. Maschine. MidiFighter Pro. AIAIAI TMA-1 Headphones.
    Website Soundcloud Email

I have a Windows for the same money of a MBP....

I can have open Chrome with about 15 Tabs, Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, Traktor, Ableton and Firefox... I'm just saying when you start to think about saving money...

Buy the MBP and get your SSD from someone other than Apple…just install it yourself.

Saves money. And, it gets you a better drive.

i personally find the 13 inch screen too small, my next macbook pro will probably be a 15 inch one with the matte hi res screen

speaking of the cpu of the macbook ur talking bout, currently im using the 2010 macbook pro (13 inch, 2.4ghz C2D, 8GB DDR3 , 750GB WD Scorpio Blue) and while it is a very stable system, i am starting to feel that the C2D is getting outdated, for djing alone its fine but if you wanna run maschine alongside traktor i think you'd be best off getting at least the i5 or i7 one

personally i'd wait a bit for their next macbook pro update before purchasing, i heard they are either doing a speed bump or an all new update to the macbook pro series pretty soon (this upcoming major update/redesign is the one im waiting for)
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ichitaka View Post
    I have a Windows for the same money of a MBP....
    This is irrelevant to the topic. The guy is already a Mac user and the guy wants a new Mac, lets help him choose one.

Im not trying to be funny... but the guy is not asking about PC. Im sure he knows that he can get a PC for cheaper.

Same applies to threads about PCs. People should not turn these threads into PC vs Mac.

Jus' sayin'

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Go for the MBP, the aluminium body stands a lot better time and abuse. Besides, it's always to get the best you can afford when you are upgrading processing power, drives and ram can be upgraded later.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-16-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Go for the MBP, the aluminium body stands a lot better time and abuse. Besides, it's always to get the best you can afford when you are upgrading processing power, drives and ram can be upgraded later.
    I'd agree to some extent. But, I don't think the high-end processors that come in the 13-inch macbooks are worth the difference in price. But, that's just me.

I'd buy the bottom-end MBP and get a real SSD…and just upgrade to 16GB of ram about 2 years out when the prices come down to something halfway reasonable.

i would just stick with the 15 in, the 1400 by 900 res is perfect for traktor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast