Electronic music in the USA: popular but tasteless?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Electronic music in the USA: popular but tasteless?

From the editorial of the latest issue of German dance music and clubbing magazine Groove:
    In the US, electronic music was rarely as popular as it is this year. However, one has to lower one's sights when it comes to taste. Particularly successful are big-room compatible moshpit "electro" acts which rock more than they rave. There is no musical overlap with Detroit techno--the original electronic music from the USA--whatsoever.
    Thoughts?

Mainstream pop has co-opted a narrow style of edm that has been popular in recent years to the extent that most edm heard in the states doesn't resemble its earliest ancestors in the least bit.

That seems straightforward enough and I don't think most people would disagree.

Slightly OT, but I had a fucking idiot asking me to play some 'proper white people's music' last night. My jaw hit the floor and I asked exactly what kind of music he meant, to which he replied 'proper oldskool house'...
    I tried to succinctly tell him that house was started by a mainly black crowd and that I didnt see what the relevance was anyhow before doing my best to ignore him and get back to the mix without losing my cool.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

It's a bit arse about tit to be honest.

Popular (EDM) music is tasteless (in the USA)

...would be more like it. Nothing new here. You can change the genres and countries in the parentheses to anything you like.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Examples of this tasteless EDM music? Skrillex?

which rock more than they rave
    This hits the nail on the head, imho. To me, electro house and dubstep have far more in common with rock than with techno.

Edit: Oh, and there's a new issue of Groove out? Nice, gotta get that. Always enjoy reading it....
    Last edited by 3heads; 10-22-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Mainstream pop has co-opted a narrow style of edm that has been popular in recent years to the extent that most edm heard in the states doesn't resemble its earliest ancestors in the least bit.

fair enough. what i find curious, though, is the following.

in europe, a variety of genres of EDM are big. in many cities (and i'm not just talking about a metropolis such as london), the crowds are there to get all kinds of parties running, whether you play dub techno, deep house, drum n bass, tech house, disco, indie dance, or ...

it seems that in the US, EDM is getting more popular. however, it seems this trend is largely driven by big-room progressive house with a pinch of trance and dubstep here and there. (this genre is sometimes called "electro" or "electro house" which i find a misnomer.) it is still very hard to find good techno or deep house or dubstep or ... parties in many major US cities (including detroit, btw).

at the same time, european producers and DJs alike still look towards the US a lot (Detroit, Chicago, and New York in particular). and it's not just the classics which we love. there is plenty of good stuff coming out from the US today as well, from newcomers and veterans alike.

now, you could answer "but where's your point, the US is known for its freedom of speech and its diversity." but idk. many of those talented US producers don't have a home base, they don't have the big infrastructure of (non-mainstream) clubs, record stores, etc. which we have in europe.

and now that EDM is getting bigger in the US, it's not the domestic stuff that's getting big. instead, the big stars come from the netherlands :eek: idk, i find it curious...
    Last edited by rgtb; 10-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    To me, electro house and dubstep have far more in common with rock than techno...
    ...maybe not from a historical perspective, but yeah can certainly headbang to some electro house and dubstep. Mainly shit electro house and dubstep.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    EDM is getting bigger in the US
    Maybe people will start being more discerning in the US when they stop describing all danceable music as EDM.

"What night is it tonight?"
    "EDM"
    "Cool, so what type of music are they going to play?"
    "?"
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post

true
    I been a music head since I was a kid and heard so many craptacular songs in which the artists are now taking elements from the more popular genres worldwide

Like Skrillex teaming up with Korn for the song 'Get Up!'
    There are more artists but Im too lazy to list them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0Kwutugeg
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast