Problem with phono cables / mixer?
    Tech Student

Default Problem with phono cables / mixer?

Hi I was wondering if anyone here had any idea what might be wrong...

I went to do a mix the other day and the sound was muffled especially in the lower frequencies with no real bass coming through the speakers.

I realised that when I removed the white phono leads from my turntables to my mixer the problem was rectified. Obviously the red cable is still carrying sound to one speaker. I've also noticed a quiet buzzing sound - a bit like the one you get if the equipment isn't earthed but I've checked the earth cables and they're connected correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Everything was working fine last week so nothing's happened which I can think might have caused it...

I'm using a Behringer DJX750 mixer and Technics 1210 Mk2s btw.

Cheers for any help
    Dan

Are your turntables plugged into a phono input?

Tech Student

Yeah sorry:

The red and white phono leads are plugged into the corresponding phono inputs for the channels at the back of my mixer. They're not plugged into the line/CD input if that's what you mean.

However, it's only when the white phono lead is also in that the sound disappears. If I just have the reds in I get some muffled sound with diminished bass.

When I turn the 'sound booster' effect on - some muffled sound seems to leak and come through. However otherwise there is no sound unless I unplug the white phonos from the channel inputs.

It's really weird... Sorry if that's still not explained very well

Plugging in only red gives you sound.
    Plugging in the white gives you silence.
    Nothing changed since last week…

I'm guessing your phono preamp fried. I mean…you did mention Behringer. Pre-DDM4k, they weren't exactly known for working. I'd check the other channels if you can. If that doesn't work, try a different mixer if you can.

Worst case…if you can't afford a better mixer like this one or [ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=vestax+004xl&tbm=shop&aq=f]this one[/ame], then you can try buying separate phono preamps and use the line inputs on your mixer.

Or, it's possible the mixer just died. My DJX700 had a dead channel within a week and got returned for a similar Vestax to the ones I linked.

Try swapping outputs and see if the problem follows the turntable or not. That should help you determine if it's the mixer or turntable.

If it's happening to both, then it's almost for sure the mixer.

Tech Convert

I may have misunderstood something but also try plugging the red cable into the white outputs and inputs to make sure its not your cable.
    DJ Gear: S4 | Traktor 2
    Audio Engineering Gear: 15" Macbook Pro | Logic Studio 2 | Presonus Firestudio | SM58's | Blue Spark | M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Monitors