Kontrol S4 interface
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol S4 interface

G'day DJTT I'm getting a Kontrol S4 from my girlfriend this christmas and am wondering about the interface, I talked to a club owner and he said that he was worried about me playing digital as he reckons the sound quality would stink. is the kontrol S4's sound card good enough or do you think I should get something like the... FA66 from roland 24 bit/ 192 Khz I just don't want club owners whining at me. thanks guys
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Mentor

there are quite a few big name DJs using the S4...just plug it into the club mixer and you should be fine
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Don't they have a similar sound card as you'd find in a high end CDJ anyway? But yeh just plug it into the mixer and you'll be fine,
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Mentor

wait yeah I didn't even think of that, there'd have to be a DAC to play cdj's from usb

Tech Mentor

CDJ 2000's have a 24-bit/48 kHz sound card. does that mean the kontrol S4 has a better soundcard in it at 24-bit/96kHz

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The guy's making assumptions. Of course if you've got files that were ripped off youtube then converted to wav then they'll sound like crap. If you've got quality mp3's then it will sound fine.

From the NI site

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...-s4/?page=1748

The audio interface of the TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 delivers enough punch to rock any club thanks to high-end Cirrus-LogicŪ AD/DA converters. An ultra-wide frequency response, coupled with audio resolution of up to 24-bit/96kHz will please even the most discerning ears.

The S4 main output is equipped with both balanced 1/4" TRS jacks and unbalanced RCA jacks so that you can plug the unit into an external mixer or just go straight into a PA. Either way, the hi-gain outputs, providing up to +9.7 dBu, have what it takes to get through to your audience. Use a TRS cable for fully balanced output and maximum output level. If you prefer to use XLR connectors or want to be flexible depending on your gig location, then all you need to do is carry is two 1/4" male to XLR male cables with you which you can buy at any music retailer. The balanced 1/4" outputs on the S4 are electrically identical to XLR outputs.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

sweet thanks man, I'll print out the specs of CDJ 2000's and my future kontrol s4 and keep it in my gig bag incase I get hassled.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Just remember if you've got a sub par laptop or haven't gone through the process of tweaking it for audio if it's a PC you could still get glitchy sound. That's not the S4's fault, but yours.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x