Possible CDJ's? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible CDJ's?

Is the CDJ 850 a decent model? I'm even considering selling my DN MC6000 and midi fighter to pick up two of those and a mixer. What would a used pair of 850's go for, generally in the U.S?

If you're going to spring for the 850, get the 900. While they are a good player there are some very KEY features missing from the 900, that make the difference in price well worth it.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

i agree. If you can get 850s, might as well go for 900s.

2000s are really the only ones I would consider. 900s are nice too but if you are already dropping that much cash I would get the 2000s and even the 2000s aren't exactly to the point where I think they're worth it (I'm waiting for traktor style zoomed waveforms and cue points without connecting a laptop and dealing with recordbox). Other than that used CDJ1000MK3s are the best deal. You can find a pair for $1000 if you hunt around craigslist but then you've gotta burn CDs.

worth burning cds, promise!
    The players at the club will still work with cds for a couple of years.
    But the concept of just bringing USB sticks to the gig - thats what I like.

agree with poster ^ about cuepoints. Bought the mk3's just cuz I can store 3 cuepoints on each player. Now I thought this was PER SONG when I got them but it was PER CD which is dissapointing. However, in sweden the mk3's is also a better deal than buying 850's/900/2000 because not all the clubs have USB players but they do allways have cd.
    Still you can put mp3's on CD and fit like 40 songs, no biggie.

I suggest you go with mk3's and if u dont wanna burn cds you should get DVS setup. This is if you not get a amazing deal on second hand newer models.

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    Can't argue with any of that. Looping is fairly useless on any Pioneer CDJ lower than a 1000mk3. I would guess that if I spent 500 a piece on them I might have a different perspective. The second hand market has been kind to buyers, and made it a better value (I got mine for 100 bucks a piece from a friend). I'm not sure why they thought effects on the player was a good idea... That said, I haven't had any issues with them with either cd's or for timecode use and in my opinion have been fairly robust and durable, which obviously makes my opinion different. But like I said, based on your experience, you won't catch me arguing how you feel.
    Right. That's what kinda pissed me off about getting rid of them. I tried to sell them for $100 to $250/each several times in the last year or 2 I owned them, and no one was interested. If I'd gotten them for $100/deck and never played on 1000s…I would love them.

As they were, I'd pick CDJ-1000mk1s over them any day.

Also…how the hell did you use timecode with them? Did the response get that much better since the last time I used a DVS, because you couldn't use hot cues, looping, or cue-button drumming with a DVS the last time I used one. The only way I ever figured out how to use a DVS with CDJ-200s was to set a loop of the time code, put the software in relative mode, and use midi controls or the computer keyboard for everything else…which would have made my CDJ-200s into $500 pitch encoders.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    i dunno man I have 400s. Really about the only downfalls I find are looping, and the display is too small to read anything. THat being said they work perfectly fine for me. I spin sets on them all the time and feel fine and comfortable spinning them. Plus they play everything. If I could get a set of 900s or 2000s I absolutely would but for the price 400s do everything I need.
    Have you spun on anything else? Even the 900s feel like toys compared to the 1000 and 2000 series. They're close, but they're like the 800s were to the 1000…just good enough to make you wonder why you didn't spend the last few hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beijer View Post
    Still you can put mp3's on CD and fit like 40 songs, no biggie.

I suggest you go with mk3's and if u dont wanna burn cds you should get DVS setup. This is if you not get a amazing deal on second hand newer models.
    Also, keep in mind that 1000mk3s flat-out feel better than anything else Pioneer makes besides the 2000 and will read mp3 CDs. Browsing is a bit weird, as it's based entirely on folder structure and there's no searching (at least, not that I remember). It's not as convenient as a USB key, but it is a lot easier to carry a 96-cd wallet than a laptop and sound card. At least, that's what I think. If you're not going to be using sync, the more advanced features of your software, or Ableton…IHNFC why anybody would bother with a laptop.

to above poster^

Yeah, i've been messing with 100 200 400s 800 1000 900 850 and 2000
    Most of them works as they should but you can immiedietly tell which ones more expensive by build quality and feel.

But it's true, the 1000 really got a good workflow, a joy to use if it fits your needs specvise.

Yeah, mp3 cd's works like a charm, and I feel safe to burn alot of my library to mp3 discs because there is just a couple of places that have cdjs 1000mk1 or mk2. Sad that theres no good browsing/search function.

The one who says he can hear difference listening to the far too common crappy PA in the club on a 320kbit MP3 and a regular audiofile is either a superhuman or a lier.

I'm a pure soundnerd and been listening/comparing hi-fi stereo/w electronics for a slight crazy amount of money playing same song in those different formats above and still hard to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also…how the hell did you use timecode with them? Did the response get that much better since the last time I used a DVS, because you couldn't use hot cues, looping, or cue-button drumming with a DVS the last time I used one. The only way I ever figured out how to use a DVS with CDJ-200s was to set a loop of the time code, put the software in relative mode, and use midi controls or the computer keyboard for everything else…which would have made my CDJ-200s into $500 pitch encoders.
    I used them as a DVS solution briefly between the time I wanted to venture from CD's until the time I picked up a full fledged HID controller. I was NOT able to do anything besides looping the timecode cd's and operating in relative mode as you described, and used a mouse for the ancillary functions, effectively turning it into a pitch controller, again as you stated. It's actually the reason why I purchased an HID controller. I wanted to relegate the players to CD duty only, as I think with the options for controllers out there, (and I know I'll get hammered for this)DVS seems kind of pointless unless you are big into vinyls or scratching, and as basic CD players I think they do just fine. So from that point you are 100% correct. I don't want to come off as a champion fanboy of CDJ-200 rights, I was just very curious as to why you felt the way you did. As a hobbyist without delusions, all of the shortcomings are liveable, and they are a decent place to start. For someone such as yourself with extensive experience gigging, I can see why you feel they are useless, and find it difficult to recommend anything from Pioneer's lower end.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    …If I could find them to try out first, I've heard good things about the Reloop RMP-3alpha. For $500/ea and working with CD, USB keys, and as MIDI controllers...
    Well I've used a full Reloop set-up, 2 CD player and a mixer. Didn't like it. I really didn't think they work as well as I hoped. I even had to do a full 1 hr set on them. Not too good!
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    As a hobbyist without delusions, all of the shortcomings [of the CDJ-200] are liveable, and they are a decent place to start.
    At $100 for the pair or even $100 each from an individual you trust…sure. For their price of $400 new or like $200 used from somewhere like GC…I think I disagree. I think any of the not-bottom-end controllers are better. I'd spin on a VCI-100 long before CDJ-200s…but I guess that assumes you already have a decent laptop and don't mind using it.

400s seem to cost like $700 on google shopping. If they're cheaper than that on the street or you get them used…cool…but you could almost buy an X1, an Audio 2, a VMC-002xl, TPro upgrade, and a Macbook for that. And all you lose is (IMHO) crappy scratching.

I'd switch to CDJs in a heartbeat if I could afford my dream setup…but unless you've got basically an unlimited budget, I think controllers just win. If you like the whole controllerist thing, then they win anyway…

The only reason to use CDJs like that is because you just want to…and I just don't want the OP to have unrealistic expectations. The CDJ-200 IMHO really does compete with the Stanton, Numark, and Reloop players…not the other Pioneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey1B View Post
    Well I've used a full Reloop set-up, 2 CD player and a mixer. Didn't like it. I really didn't think they work as well as I hoped. I even had to do a full 1 hr set on them. Not too good!
    Drat. Oh well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast