Possible CDJ's? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible CDJ's?

Tech Mentor

I just got two CDJ 850's and am loving them. Got a decent deal. $773 a piece. HID with Serato is sick. I couldn't justify paying an extra $700 for a pair of 900's. Only thing missing really is the link function and a bigger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Well I've used a full Reloop set-up, 2 CD player and a mixer. Didn't like it. I really didn't think they work as well as I hoped. I even had to do a full 1 hr set on them. Not too good!

Drat. Oh well.
    Yeah, the problem I had was trying to get the cue button to work. Trying to Cue up the start of a track was a pain because it didn't want to seem to work the same way the CDJ's that I am familiar with or my pair of Stanton C.324.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Macom View Post
    I just got two CDJ 850's and am loving them. Got a decent deal. $773 a piece. HID with Serato is sick. I couldn't justify paying an extra $700 for a pair of 900's. Only thing missing really is the link function and a bigger screen.
    They are also missing quantization, and for a lot of people link feature is a pretty big one to be without. I also understand that the units couldn't keep loops in time to save their lives, but I believe that was remedied with a FW update. Having to only prepare one drive, or feed songs from your laptop to the players with all of the pre prepared hot cues and loops is EXTREMELY convenient, as not everyone would want to use them as HID controllers for software. And why no SP/DIF out?
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

If you started on a digital system, I think once you start using cdj's that you will get bored with them pretty fast. But you gotta do what you gotta doo. Im thinking about getting some technic 1210's just for the nostalgia effect haha

Ive used CDJ100's, 200's, 400's, 800's, 900's, 1000mk2&3's, 2000's (and some weird denon ones) and out of what ive used the 2000's were the best, followed by the 1000's then the 400's. Make of that what you will
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

and yes quantization on a cdj is amazing haha
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JazZmutant View Post
    If you started on a digital system, I think once you start using cdj's that you will get bored with them pretty fast.
    Why do you say that? The digital system doesn't work nearly as well as it should. A list of complaints that I have about my MC6000 with traktor are: hiccups when turning filter on, not being able to accurately backspin, constant buzzing noise coming out of PA system when plugged in, EQ's are not real kills (maybe 90%), and there are too many bells and whistles to get distracted with.

I get far too absorbed in FX manipulation, and staring at the phase meter/waveform when I should be training my ear to listen for key, beatmatch, and create dramatic build-ups/breakdowns by fiddling with minimal FX and EQ adjustment. I feel that if I had 2 good CDJ's and a high quality mixer, i'd get so less distracted, which would force myself to actually learn the basics of DJ'ing. On top of that, it would remove the laptop screen which would be helpful during gigs when I should be paying attention to the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    I feel that if I had 2 good CDJ's and a high quality mixer, i'd get so less distracted, which would force myself to actually learn the basics of DJ'ing. On top of that, it would remove the laptop screen which would be helpful during gigs when I should be paying attention to the crowd.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason I don't find those issues with Traktor is that I learned to DJ on vinyl and I put the laptop off to the side. I look at it for picking tracks, selecting effects when I bother to use them, and occasionally for looking at waveforms…which is just a tiny bit more straightforward than looking at the shoddy CDJ displays or hoping the target lights work so I can see the grooves on a record.

Also, the small view is really cool. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

But…I'm weird. I kind of don't belong at DJTT because I think controllerism is kinda bleh at best.

So right now, I have a few CDJ models in mind as I've done some more research:

Used CDJ 850
    stanton cmp 800
    reloop RMP3
    american audio radius 7000

orrrrr wait until the gemini CDJ 700 comes out(which has a full touch screen?!)

What are your thoughts everyone?

Tech Mentor

I would get CDJs dude if your planning on getting CD players. They are still club standard. Learning these will prepare you nice for bigger and better gigs. If not CDJs then just get a controller setup.

If you guys could help me make a decision between any of these models (used) I'd love the input:

CDJ 850
    CDJ 1000 mk3
    CDJ 900

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast