not your everyday computer question

Default not your everyday computer question

Background: I wanted to build a PC to DJ with, but I was looking for portable so I went with a mini ITX motherboard and case. Roughly the size of a kleenex box. Had all the USB ports I need (8) and 2 slots for hard drives and a powerful processor. The problem is, the computer is too big to carry around unless I put it in a flight case.
    The plan: I came across rackmount mini ITX cases online and realized this would be great. The ones I'm looking at have the fans out the front and back and no vents on top, so I can sit a controller or my mixer on top.
    Has anyone done this, or thought of using rackmount cases for your DJ rig?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Student

Can't really see why I would want to use a rack-mounted computer instead of a laptop. Would be interesting to know. You could go for a USB hub and a laptop.

I'm thinking more along the lines of space saving. I already have the computer, and I use it with both traktor and ableton as a production PC. Once I'm spinning in clubs, I will get a macbook, and a USB hub, but for my at-home musical creations I have this PC. My amp is this old JVC silver God, and a rackmount case will sit perfectly ontop, and only be 2 inches high. The case its in now takes up valuable room on my table. Looks like my audio 6 would fit in the case as well, thus saving a little more space.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I used to have a rack mounted pc with a sound card in the rack below for recording gigs (different application I know) but found it was really useful and you can get a really powerful pc for not very much in there! I think it'd probably translate to DJing pretty well? Also long as you can find the space in the booth!
    Macbook, S4, Novation Launchpad, Korg nanoKontrol, TSP2, Ableton 8.

Tech Mentor

problem is the screen if you plan to use it in the booth but for home use it sounds decent enough
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro