Mixtrack Pro and options...
    Tech Student

Default Mixtrack Pro and options...

Hi Guys, I am new here, well I have browsed the forums for a while but never felt as though I had much to contribute due to me being a newbie into DJing.

About 2 months ago I purchased a mixtrack pro, it was my first piece of DJ equipment, never had decks or anything else before! And I must say that I really enjoy it, and that for the price it does seem like a great little item.

My 1 problem is that I always feel as though I am lacking by just having a midi controller and nothing else, especially as that midi controller can be considered v low range, thus has little features on. I feel as though I have reached as much as I can do with this. I have 4 different questions, but all are related:

1. Having looked around at the options of better, more expensive midi controllers, i really cant see what I get as extra for my money. If I were to buy a midi controller for around £400 what extra would I actually be getting for my money on top of the mixtrack pro?

2. What accessories/additional items could I possibly add onto my current mixtrack pro setup to give me a bit of extra flexibility? Is there anything which can give me the opportunity to use other effects etc? Is it possible to get something to add onto it, so I can set up a third deck which runs through Traktor? Any other addons which I can use?

3. I can get a cheap upgrade to Traktor Pro 2 from LE, is it worth it?

4. And finally, would there be any advantage is selling up and going down the vinyl root? Maybe then setting up a DVS, however given I am not a scratch DJ would there be any advantage is this what-so-ever?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Will definitely respond to any threads in which I can help!!

Thanks in advance!

The instrument should never define the musician. Most hardcore turntablists will tell you to ditch the controllers and spin oldschool and most controllerists will tell you to keep them. Do what you feel is right but don't just blame the instrument.

If you're purely using SYNC or looking at waveforms try to resist and play by ear instead.

You can customize and re-map your Mixtrack and Traktor in many ways (not sure what the limitations are on LE). Nothing wrong with beat juggling on a keyboard either. Look at some of Ean Golden's videos on mapping multiple effects to single rotary knobs (echo freeze effect), pretty sick stuff.

I'm using a Mixtrack Pro and keyboard, it's fine for learning... I want more just like you, but mostly because it's plastic. I think the VCI-400 will be my baby when it comes out.

Just don't spend money thinking it will automatically make you a better musician.

To add to my above post:

Quote Originally Posted by zakprior View Post
    1. Having looked around at the options of better, more expensive midi controllers, i really cant see what I get as extra for my money. If I were to buy a midi controller for around £400 what extra would I actually be getting for my money on top of the mixtrack pro?

2. What accessories/additional items could I possibly add onto my current mixtrack pro setup to give me a bit of extra flexibility? Is there anything which can give me the opportunity to use other effects etc? Is it possible to get something to add onto it, so I can set up a third deck which runs through Traktor? Any other addons which I can use?

3. I can get a cheap upgrade to Traktor Pro 2 from LE, is it worth it?

4. And finally, would there be any advantage is selling up and going down the vinyl root? Maybe then setting up a DVS, however given I am not a scratch DJ would there be any advantage is this what-so-ever?
    1. Durability, reliability (possibly). If you're a bedroom DJ this is not as important.

2. There's plenty of budget Korg (Nano Kontrol) or AKAI pads around, you might enjoy that.

3. Again, not sure but probably... I'm guessing more effects and options open up when you upgrade. Look on nativeinstruments.com

4. Answered in my above post. If you're not a scratch DJ I'd say TT's aren't AS important IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zakprior View Post
    i really cant see what I get as extra for my money
    stick with what you've got until you can see what extra money will get you
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    stick with what you've got until you can see what extra money will get you
    this!
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

agreed that you should probably stick with the controller you have for the time being. only thing i would say is that by only having traktor le you might not be able to find out what other stuff you might find useful and so what other/extra controllers might be worth getting somewhere down the line...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"