Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread - Page 102
Page 102 of 121 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1207
    Tech Convert

I have been using the DB4 for can't get the reverb to function in a way similar to pioneer mixers and traktor. I like to slowly build the reverb on breaks for a more intense build up. The DB4 is good at producing that big room sound, but how do I make it roar like other mentioned reverb effects?
    Allen & Heath Xone DB4/2-Pioneer CDJ 2000's/Maschine/Audio 10/S4

Default Audio 10?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to double check before I drop a bunch of cash on this bad boy. Is it easy to hook up a Traktor A 10 or Serato SL4 soundcard to this and use 3 turntables? The line/phono shouldn't matter if it's working that way, right?

Yeah it'll work fine, wire it up like normal. Only thing people like me complain about is the way you cannot use multicore cables but that doesn't matter with the A10 or SL4.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

As far as I know it shouldn't matter.

I have the 2 phono channels (2 & 3) running 1210's with timecode, and 1 & 4 running straight vinyl with RIAA on.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Yeah it'll work fine, wire it up like normal. Only thing people like me complain about is the way you cannot use multicore cables but that doesn't matter with the A10 or SL4.
    So on the SL4 you can switch between real vinyl and serato just like you can with the A10 and Traktor? Is it a direct through (bypassing the computer)? hmmm I did not know this; the input limitations on the DB4 is my one major complaint with this mixer TBH.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Input limitations?

You can have 4 line or 4 phono (or any combination in between, albeit 2 phono ins are software controlled), 4 digital ins, and 4 Stereo USB ins. I generally find that 12 decks are a little much for me. I mean, okay, you can only really mix 4 decks at a time, but you can connect 12 sources if you want.

Actually, I forgot, you also have an extra line input on the mic channel, so you could in theory have 4 1200's, 5 CDJ's and 4 Traktor decks hooked up at the same time.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Default Awesome

Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently running an SL1 with plans to upgrade to an SL4 or A10. Am I right in assuming you would have to choose either DVS or vinyl with the SL1 as there's only 2 RCAs per channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently running an SL1 with plans to upgrade to an SL4 or A10. Am I right in assuming you would have to choose either DVS or vinyl with the SL1 as there's only 2 RCAs per channel?
    Yep but you could route the digital vinyl outputs into 2 channels and then use the other 2 channels for real vinyl, would work fine. This wouldn't be an issue with the SL4 or Audio10 as the thru on those shares the same output as the digital vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Input limitations?

You can have 4 line or 4 phono (or any combination in between, albeit 2 phono ins are software controlled), 4 digital ins, and 4 Stereo USB ins. I generally find that 12 decks are a little much for me. I mean, okay, you can only really mix 4 decks at a time, but you can connect 12 sources if you want.

Actually, I forgot, you also have an extra line input on the mic channel, so you could in theory have 4 1200's, 5 CDJ's and 4 Traktor decks hooked up at the same time.
    Yes but you can only have 4 stereo analogue inputs at a time. 5 if you count the mic channel. For switch-able DVS with an SL1, Audio4 or any other cards without a direct thru that utilities the interface's preamp you need 2 stereo analogue inputs per channel. This means you can only run 2 decks of timecode on this 4 channel mixer with these cards.

Lots of people were very annoyed with A&H's decisions with the IO.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    So on the SL4 you can switch between real vinyl and serato just like you can with the A10 and Traktor? Is it a direct through (bypassing the computer)? hmmm I did not know this; the input limitations on the DB4 is my one major complaint with this mixer TBH.
    I'm not 100% that it bypasses the computer but it does certainly use the same output. On the RANE site they say "Four software-switchable analog Thru connections for regular vinyl or CD." which makes me suspect it's not via the software though you need to switch it on and off via software due to the lack of hardware switches for it.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 02-13-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

So much damn information on this thread! After hours and hours of researching I am left with 2 mixers.
    The DB4 & the Xone 92.
    I have one burning question that I can't find answered on any forum.
    How do the filters on the DB4 compare to that of the analogue 92?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Xone DB4, Technics 1200 MK5 x2, Technics MK3 x1, Serato SL1, Novation Dicers, Sennheiser Adidas HD25
    Always uploading new mixes to https://soundcloud.com/djskullduggery

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    So much damn information on this thread! After hours and hours of researching I am left with 2 mixers.
    The DB4 & the Xone 92.
    I have one burning question that I can't find answered on any forum.
    How do the filters on the DB4 compare to that of the analogue 92?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    I have both. I would suggest going to hear them in person. Nothing beats hearing for yourself, but I'm going to try to describe them for you. I bought the DB4 when it first came out, to upgrade my 92. The filters were a little lacking that fine fine adjustment compared to the 92. Since the upgrade on the DB4, I find that they intensified the resonance, which I love. You can get that fine adjustment on the DB4 using the EQs. There's a learing curve, though to get the machine to do what you want. There's just so much to discover when shaping your sounds on the DB4. I use both the mixers when the occassion calls for it, but mostly the DB4...since everything is digital these days. I love my 92 with vinyls. Although with the new firmware on the DB4 - it gave me a new ear on my vinyls, almost like I was listening to a brand new track when using the Infrabass. The bass just punches me in the gut and hits me in the heart.

In my opinion, the 92 will get you just so far, it's for bare bones mixing... but the DB4 will let you go beyond and grow with you... until another piece of gear comes along.