Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread - Page 74
Page 74 of 113 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Thanks very much for the response. I'll def give it a shot. I had tried using it before but when I would mess with the lows, when turning the knob from left to center position the bass would get low, high, then low again it was weird. Im, guessing that had to do with the resonance though. When I get home ill mess around more with it and stick to it while practicing and see what results come of it.

Exactly.

"resonance" causes a peak (increased gain) right around the cutoff point.

It's one of the reasons I hate the filter on Pioneer mixers: no resonance. It sounds really clean (if you watch your levels well) and kind of awesome to set an HP filter pretty low (30 to 70Hz ish) and play with the resonance. It's kinda like turning up a really high gain bass EQ that has completely different distortion and phasing characteristics from just turning up an EQ.

That's one thing I miss from having a xone.

And, btw, the DB4 is growing on me a bit. I still think they got a lot of things wrong, and I wouldn't buy it for $2600 or whatever…but I'd enjoy it at a club.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Exactly.

"resonance" causes a peak (increased gain) right around the cutoff point.

It's one of the reasons I hate the filter on Pioneer mixers: no resonance. It sounds really clean (if you watch your levels well) and kind of awesome to set an HP filter pretty low (30 to 70Hz ish) and play with the resonance. It's kinda like turning up a really high gain bass EQ that has completely different distortion and phasing characteristics from just turning up an EQ.

That's one thing I miss from having a xone.

And, btw, the DB4 is growing on me a bit. I still think they got a lot of things wrong, and I wouldn't buy it for $2600 or whatever…but I'd enjoy it at a club.

Thanks, thats definitley a good thing to know as I was unaware of it. I will admit I dont feel I gave the mode enough of a chance but my next few mixes im going to force to stick to it. Hopefully I'll both gain a better understanding of the mode and my mixes will turn out better. Either way the more options under my belt the better.
    Last edited by ferluno01; 05-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.

The more experience the better……I'm still not convinced more options is always better.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The more experience the better……I'm still not convinced more options is always better.
    Lol, I feel you. In this case though I think options are good.

Tech Mentor

So instead of going through 80 pages, I'll just ask, did you go for the mixer? While A&H stuff is great, I passed on a Xone92 and went for an Ecler NUO4. Half the price and had lot of the same functions I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by djdunamis View Post
    So instead of going through 80 pages, I'll just ask, did you go for the mixer? While A&H stuff is great, I passed on a Xone92 and went for an Ecler NUO4. Half the price and had lot of the same functions I was looking for.
    Oh yeah, love the DB4.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...db4-mixer.html

Is the piece of mind worth the $700? I've heard nothing but great things about PAS....
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...db4-mixer.html

Is the piece of mind worth the $700? I've heard nothing but great things about PAS....
    god no, do not pay the new unit price

Also I would bet $100 they send you a new in sealed box unit for $2,199, they just say "b-stock" so they can advertise it for cheaper than the minimum advertised price. If you call them they will say they can send you a new one for that much, that's what they did for a few of us here and that's what I paid for a new one from them.

Thanks Xone! Thought I'd give them a call anyway. GL with it the production setup man, sounding good.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________