Xone: DB4- the official unofficial thread - Page 112
Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1126
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Weird; it should be in "HP Settings" (Headphone) but I don't see it there. Don't know if that got removed in a FW update a couple years ago (my FW is from 2015) or I just misremembered it. Anyway try the factory reset route (here's ragverp's old discussion about it http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=90074); that should revert it to the right settings (of course you'll have to change any other settings you changed).
    The factory reset did work beautifully, but it soon went back to not working through the headphones. another reset did the trick again so i'm not sure how long i'm going to need to rest everytime the EQ doesnt do anything when coming through the headphones in cue.

Yup tried to find those settings, could not find them, i will also make a support ticket for this, its annoying to say the least ...
    I am also on the the latest fw
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

if you switch the fx to post fader , cue for the fx wont work, pre fader everything works fine'. doing the factory rest also resets aech fx channel to pre fade..so that explains why it works after a reset...now to find out getting it working post fade and cue...
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Hey everyone!

I've recently had my interest in this mixer resurface after being super intrigued by what it could do when I saw it for the first time a few years ago.

I have the chance to purchase a brand new one for around $1,600 and wanted to know if this mixer is still worth purchasing in 2018.

I currently plan on using it set up with two CDJs or XDJs , but I do have Ableton though so the possibility of using it with that sounds really cool. I've just never mixed in that way before.

Is it possible to hook this thing up to my computer and mix in Ableton without the need for any additional players or controllers? And what is the best resource for learning that method of mixing.

Any feedback or insights before I go and potentially purchase this thing would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MusiqueDJ View Post
    Hey everyone!

I've recently had my interest in this mixer resurface after being super intrigued by what it could do when I saw it for the first time a few years ago.

I have the chance to purchase a brand new one for around $1,600 and wanted to know if this mixer is still worth purchasing in 2018.

I currently plan on using it set up with two CDJs or XDJs , but I do have Ableton though so the possibility of using it with that sounds really cool. I've just never mixed in that way before.

Is it possible to hook this thing up to my computer and mix in Ableton without the need for any additional players or controllers? And what is the best resource for learning that method of mixing.

Any feedback or insights before I go and potentially purchase this thing would be super appreciated. Thanks!
    I still love mine. Which features of it appeal to you? For me, the most important thing I love about it is filter mixing. The effects are cool but that's just not a big part of how I mix. The things I wish were different include the lack of input/output flexibility - there is no effects loop and there's only one set of RCA input jacks per input (so you can't connect an old Audio 8 soundcard easily for example) - and the lack of ongoing support.

When it first came out the company made a big deal of saying they wanted to continue supporting it with firmware updates that would upgrade its features and make it more interoperable with the associated product (the K2); they really dropped the ball on those promises and I don't expect any further firmware updates unless some huge bug emerges. They also got rid of the dedicated forum so they're basically not listening to feature requests. I hope they will at least keep up with MacOS updates if they need to (and they have so far but the last update was 2015). But frankly this is a problem with every single top shelf digital mixer I've seen. The companies want you to buy their newer products rather than keep supporting the older ones, so you're having the same problem if you've got an Ecler Evo4 or 5, a Denon DNX1600 or 700, or one of the non-Nexus Pioneers. Maybe the Rane rotaries or the DNX1800 aren't facing that yet but they're still too new to tell. The point is it's not a reason to say the Xone is outdated; it's still very good at doing the job it was designed for. Just don't expect any upcoming feature updates.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I still love mine. Which features of it appeal to you? For me, the most important thing I love about it is filter mixing. The effects are cool but that's just not a big part of how I mix. The things I wish were different include the lack of input/output flexibility - there is no effects loop and there's only one set of RCA input jacks per input (so you can't connect an old Audio 8 soundcard easily for example) - and the lack of ongoing support.

When it first came out the company made a big deal of saying they wanted to continue supporting it with firmware updates that would upgrade its features and make it more interoperable with the associated product (the K2); they really dropped the ball on those promises and I don't expect any further firmware updates unless some huge bug emerges. They also got rid of the dedicated forum so they're basically not listening to feature requests. I hope they will at least keep up with MacOS updates if they need to (and they have so far but the last update was 2015). But frankly this is a problem with every single top shelf digital mixer I've seen. The companies want you to buy their newer products rather than keep supporting the older ones, so you're having the same problem if you've got an Ecler Evo4 or 5, a Denon DNX1600 or 700, or one of the non-Nexus Pioneers. Maybe the Rane rotaries or the DNX1800 aren't facing that yet but they're still too new to tell. The point is it's not a reason to say the Xone is outdated; it's still very good at doing the job it was designed for. Just don't expect any upcoming feature updates.
    It’s a shame they fell off on adding new features and updating firmware. I don’t foresee it being a huge problem for me though since I’m pretty sure I’ll mostly be using it in a more traditional setup rather than connecting it to software.

All of the filter options are huge and I can’t wait to start mixing with them. But the ability to tune which frequencies the effects apply to is another aspect that excites me. Using the input selector also to have different versions of the same track or loops to switch between is awesome. All those things combined make it feel like there’s just tons of possibilities to play with.

Hi all,

do DB4 owners of you a way to help the BPM detection if it fails for the loopers?
    i'm using the DB4 as mixer of a live act with drum machines, synths and stuff.
    The problem is: not every channel contains material with a proper beat (kick or whatever) and the loopers sometimes don't do their Job then.

my questions are:
    - am I able to send a midi clock INTO the DB4 (not possible i think ..)
    - can looper ch2 use the BPM detected of Ch4 for instance?
    - i read something about "tapping the tempo in" but it seems not sufficient.

do you know any tricks for this situation?

thank you!!

Frank

What's not working with the tap function? Make sure the right channel is selected when you tap; is it still not catching a reasonable bpm when you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankvonWelt View Post
    Hi all,

do DB4 owners of you a way to help the BPM detection if it fails for the loopers?
    i'm using the DB4 as mixer of a live act with drum machines, synths and stuff.
    The problem is: not every channel contains material with a proper beat (kick or whatever) and the loopers sometimes don't do their Job then.

my questions are:
    - am I able to send a midi clock INTO the DB4 (not possible i think ..)
    - can looper ch2 use the BPM detected of Ch4 for instance?
    - i read something about "tapping the tempo in" but it seems not sufficient.

do you know any tricks for this situation?

thank you!!

Frank
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

you can set the db4 to respond to midi clock, that way its stays longer synced...
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    you can set the db4 to respond to midi clock, that way its stays longer synced...
    That’s what I did. Working great! Thanks for your advice !