How do you record your mixes? One straight pass, or do you edit/remix?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How do you record your mixes? One straight pass, or do you edit/remix?

Hey guys,

When you do mixes, do you restart from scratch when you miss a transition and such or do you edit the pass with a newer/better pass?

In the club it's one thing to miss a transition, but when you want to make a good mix... must work your patience if you restart on a miss

Thanks y'all!

I record from start to finish so sounds like it would if i was playing live - i feel i get better practice this way

I always record live (never used the native mix recorder), however may take several takes to get like i want, sometimes i will use one tho that has the odd performance glitch in it to let the listener know it IS live, ya know
    usually like experimenting with effects etc but not for demo discs eh, keep them fairly straight up
    Cut it at about half, so usually a mix will be 2 x 1 1/4 hr files.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

ya, i second Bento's sentiments

I like to do both ways.

sometimes I like to put together a mix that is flawless just for people to enjoy.
    However when it comes to doing a demo for when I would like to play live.

I do one recording from start to finish. More human you know.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Yep jason. when we find DJ's for our parties we always ask for a live mix, even if its a tape, gives you a better impression of what they can do and saves us throwing them off stage if they aint up to the standard of their demo mixes (not that we've done that mind you)
    The old native mix recorder feature was good if you wanted a "perfect" mix but hell, not even Digweed is perfect (sorry john)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

That's the thing is I have run into DJ's who send you this flawless mix only to find out sometime later (usually to late) they rigged it up in something like Sony's Acid or Ableton and thier on stage skill is not quite up to par.

Shoes in the dryer!

Disastrous!

At least if they were using Ableton then they could of used it out live as well and repeated the same results as the demo.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

For sure. I mean for example when i prepare a mix obviously i'm gonna chuck cue points etc in there, mainly for timing so i can get a fairly precise 2 1/2 hour mix or whatever. But when we do parties, and especially when i'm doing prog house or something, that same mix could be way longer now that i'm a loop junky.

For myself and my brother, our demo disc is actually the video from our first gig! Seeing as these days the pubs don't really give a crap what you play as long as you pull in the punters ay, and that shows them that we can actually draw a crowd.
    Last edited by Jester; 03-08-2009 at 04:38 AM.

I find myself mixing more aggressive for demos and mixtapes but when i screw up, i restart from the beginning. This way when the clean take finally comes, it has some of my newest routines in the demo so it is current representation of my skill. Then i'll disect the hell out of it so i can continue to clean up the routines.

Haha i save my aggression for performing, seeing as i usually have a half dozen stellas in me by then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast