software advice

Thread: software advice

Tech Student

Default software advice

First I知 sorry because I知 sure these kinds of questions get asked a lot

I知 looking to get into making music as a hobby and was hoping someone could recommend a good program for a complete beginner to start learning some stuff on.

I'm messed around with ableton a little but i think it might be a little more than I need at the moment also it comes at a pretty steep price if i were to buy it.

I知 looking for more music production than I am DJ software.

Any help is much appreciated

Tech Wizard

Ableton is the most versatile . You can produce and dj with it . Are you on a mac or pc ? if your on a mac i can suggest you logic .

Tech Student

Im on PC

I liked ableton for the most part but there were time when trying to do simple things felt like taking a chemistry final (I suck at chemistry)

Tech Mentor

It's all personal preference but if you're willing to put in the hours, Ableton is some pretty amazing software!

Since you are on PC, FL Studio is pretty easy to get up and running quickly with and also is much more powerful than a lot of people give it credit for.

ableton is awesome but if youre looking to just get your beak wet renoise is cheap and quality.

Tech Mentor

I've just got ableton and I find it a breeze, I originally started on Fruity Loops 9 which is pretty easy to start out with. to be honest if I didn't get a mac I'd probably still be using it because as mentioned before fruity loops is alot more powerful than people give credit for. but I think the best advice I could give is check out videos and see what looks more fun to use. when I first downloaded the ableton demo I freaked out cause it looks soooo much different to what I was used to but you get used to it. I think personally give ableton a go I'd highly doubt you'll be dissapointed. oh and another reason i'd choose it over logic is because .VST's don't work in logic unless you rewire them or something. just my 2cents
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Convert

Get to know Ableton, you can not compare Ableton with FL or other software.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    ableton is awesome but if youre looking to just get your beak wet renoise is cheap and quality.
    i installed the renoise demo yesterday actually... it looks pretty fun. kind of based on old school trackers. it's very cheap and looks like a fun way to start playing about.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"