Acapella Mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acapella Mixing

Tech Mentor

Default Acapella Mixing

This is something I seen a DJ do the other night and I thought it sounded amazing, the acapella over the instrumental worked like a dream!

I have watched a few videos on youtube but I can't really get it right when I'm doing it. Any fellow DJ's got advice?

Also, what acapellas/instrumentals work best for you guys?

many thanks,

D

Tech Convert

what are you using cdjs or software like traktor?

Tech Mentor

I am using cdj 1000s. I also have TSP2.

Tech Convert

if you use Software, do not use Sync , Acapella do not need to sync on music BPM, you can change bpm lil with your ears till you think it sounds good.
    personally i play Techno and Tech house, it is great to mix some acapella talking smooth on it.
    you can find lots of acapella on net,google it.
    it will makes people like Yeahhhhhhhhh after some long techno and Tech-house music mix some Acapella on it.
    use you ears to find best match for tunes and acapella, it is hard to mix rythmic vocals on musics you need to know the key of acapella.
    if there is more thing you need to know feel free to ask

Tech Mentor

thanks Fedor K

So the acapella doesn't haven't to be beatmatched with the instrumental?

Problem for me at the mo is finding the correct acapella and tune to work together, also my timing on where to bring in an acapella is way off, should I play the full acapella or just keep tappin cue to tease the crowd sorta speak?

You've identified timing as one of the major issues with this- the other isensureing the instrumental and acapella are in the same (or at least complimentary) keys - else it'll sound like arse.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    You've identified timing as one of the major issues with this- the other isensureing the instrumental and acapella are in the same (or at least complimentary) keys - else it'll sound like arse.
    Yeah I agree with this, I have mixed in key software I might get a few tunes and acapellas and put them through it!

Do u guys know of any acapellas/tunes that work well? I've been testing out a few and they sound poor

Tech Convert

[QUOTE=dylanmc111;366829]thanks Fedor K

Problem for me at the mo is finding the correct acapella and tune to work together, also my timing on where to bring in an acapella is way off, should I play the full acapella or just keep tappin cue to tease the crowd sorta speak?[/QUOTE

let me tell you this way:
    you have music with 124 Bpm, and acapella with 113 Bpm.
    you do not need to raise acapella Bpm to 124 maybe it makes vocal so Fast!
    may be just lil up or down makes it rythmic with your music. do you get my point about BPM's?
    but for right time bring you first beat of vocal and try to play it on time on your music. if it sounds off beat you can change Bpm so slow during mixing the way that people do not get that.
    you can get loop or you can play whole acapella on music it depends on your style

Tech Mentor

[quote=Fedor K;366837]
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanmc111 View Post
    thanks Fedor K

Problem for me at the mo is finding the correct acapella and tune to work together, also my timing on where to bring in an acapella is way off, should I play the full acapella or just keep tappin cue to tease the crowd sorta speak?[/QUOTE

let me tell you this way:
    you have music with 124 Bpm, and acapella with 113 Bpm.
    you do not need to raise acapella Bpm to 124 maybe it makes vocal so Fast!
    may be just lil up or down makes it rythmic with your music. do you get my point about BPM's?
    but for right time bring you first beat of vocal and try to play it on time on your music. if it sounds off beat you can change Bpm so slow during mixing the way that people do not get that.
    you can get loop or you can play whole acapella on music it depends on your style

Ahhhh I get ya!!! so its kinda what sounds right to the ear rather than bpm's?!

With TSP, set some cue points at the beginning of each vocal line, then trigger them. Like what Ean Golden does with 'Enjoy the Silence'. If you are constantly 'resetting' the acappella, the BPM doesn't have to be as exactly matched.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0VJm0mi7aUc
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast