New in DJ/Mixing Electro house
    Tech Convert

Default New in DJ/Mixing Electro house

I love electro and Electro house. I just recently got into dj and I'm still in the learning process. I wanted to know what is the best way to mix electro house songs. Being able to transition from one electro house song to another? What parts of the song to transition into. How you create an amazing drop in electro house. I am currently using Numark mixtrack controller with traktor. I will greatly appreciate any tips on examples of your own mixes. Thanks guys

I do it by ear and "feel".
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

I understand that, but someone who is amateur I have no idea what that means.

a good place to start is researching what phase matching and phrase matching are!

as for the "best way to mix", it completely depends on your style, the crowd, the situation, etc.

if your just starting off and mixing electro house id suggest doing the following: let a track play for the first verse and through its break down. During the second verse start mixing in the intro or verse of your second track (this is purely based on my opinion/experience, and this is just a place to start. don't do this for every transition or your mix is going to get very boring very fast )

best of luck!!
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Convert

you mean by phase matching is beat matching. the verse as the drop of the baseline?

Quote Originally Posted by inzane View Post
    you mean by phase matching is beat matching. the verse as the drop of the baseline?
    nope, i'm not the best at explaining this but:
    phase matching: matching your tracks so that both bars start at the same time. (so they both go 1-2-3-4 at the same time) its possible to have you tracks beat matched, but not have them phased matched. phase matching makes your mix sound a zillion times better.

phrase matching: matching up the different "phrases" (parts of song, like the intro, verse, etc.). electronic music has a structure, and if you use this structure when you mix you'll sound a lot better

edit: i guess the verse would be the drop of the bassline. i suggest you read into song structure man. just like playing an instrument, theres lots of basic theory and techniques you have to learn before you can start djing.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

listen to some mixes, find one you really like.. then try and recreate it yourself with the same songs

once youve done that... try mixing a track of your choosing into one of teh other tracks and see how it goes

trial and error my friend. so is mixing at breakdowns (both at same time) or letting songs battle eachother (ala track a - chorus hits as track b begins breakdown -- so when B drops into the chorus again, A will start to breakdown)

cutting with the upfaders is also alot of fun... aka, isolating certain sounds from tracks to let a vocal or sample cut through -- look for the breaks in the kick -- youll know what i mean when you see one, as most edm tracks have such elements. (i mostly use this technique when both choruses are playing at the same time -- darth & vader has alot of tracks with "samples" (for lack of a better term) in them...)

check out my soundcloud for some ideas of transitions and such, as i spin alot of electro house (link is in my sig).

check out this thread too... http://216.157.25.179/forum/showthre...ice+techniques
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

There are plenty of resources already on the internet about learning to DJ. Don't worry about the specifics of electro house until later.

Ellaskins and Pioneer on YouTube spring to mind
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 10-21-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

there is not only 1 way, you can do the mix in several ways, but it depends on your mind and that will makes your style.
    best way is listen to other djs sets,use loop in your mixes, do not mix acappela over acapella it sounds mixed up,make your ears strong

Tech Guru

check out this http://soundcloud.com/mr_stifffy/electro-mix

as for anything else, practise practise and practise....
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.