Live Performance VS DJing - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

use your dj software for loops and prewritten stuff/maschine for jamming. try writing like 8 bar loops simply for the purpose of working them over with traktor. write around the features of the software you use.
    right now with ableton im just writing and making edits to have a collection i can use where i write a loop, and in session view i arrange it so that i have 8 bars of one element soloed then 8 bars of another element soloed until every element has 8 bars recorded solo. at the end ill have the whole loop. throw it into your dj softwares library, set down cue points at the beginning of the 8 bar intervals. i use serato, only 5 cues, so i can only put cues at the beginning but with traktor put down a cue at the beginning of the beat and the down beat giving you more room for jamming

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    And, I'm working on incorporating Maschine…figuring out the technical side at the same time as actually making beats…which is slow because I suck at writing melodies. I have ideas, but I'm not seriously working on it until I get several tracks made that I think suck less than what I'm currently producing.
    This.

I think "live performance" comes into play more when people are working harder on the production side of things. For people playing other people's tracks, it can work, but it comes down to how it's done. That's why you don't see a ton of crazy turntablism stuff around for parties, looking at it from that perspective.

I'm constantly working on silly stuff production wise, but until I really get my act together about it, I don't plan on using something that I'd consider "live performance". It's just too much of a pain for me to chop up other people's stuff like a madman, esp. live.

It's a tough call though, I think if done proper it can be amazing. Seeing Orbital (so pissed I missed Chemical Brothers last year, didn't go to Ultra) was a perfect example of this.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Did a little experiment tonight…

One major caveat. Don't have both Traktor's virtual output and Maschine's virtual input going…the clocks will be slightly offset and your BPM wil be like 2-3 times what it should be.

I decided "screw cheating, i'm in my bedroom." So, I loaded up some stuff that I've done that I think is crap along with some of the example projects that NI bundled with Maschine or the expansions.

Yeah. Works very well.

Congratulations, NI. Things just work, and it took way less time to set up than when I started playing with Ableton. I know more what I'm doing now, so that probably makes the comparison less valid, but yeah.

When I manage to make some beats that I don't think are complete garbage, I'll post a recording.

Also…I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface, but between scenes and mutes, I don't think I hardly used the knobs on maschine at all. Mikro might work just as well for this unless you're into using its effects…which I'd have mixed feelings about losing.

Thanksgiving break is going to be a lot of fun.

Traktor + Maschine -> #winning.

Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

Traktor + Maschine -> #winning.

How are you utilizing Maschine?......playing your own stuff?

Has anyone actually seen a "live performance" that isn't just DJing with stems and loops in ableton? I wanna see someone with a keyboard, drum pads, VSTs and some form of looper thingy.

Actually the best people I've seen for live performances have all been beatboxers. MC Xander is excellent, as is beardyman.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

^^^This is truth

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Has anyone actually seen a "live performance" that isn't just DJing with stems and loops in ableton? I wanna see someone with a keyboard, drum pads, VSTs and some form of looper thingy.

Actually the best people I've seen for live performances have all been beatboxers. MC Xander is excellent, as is beardyman.
    ive seen deadelus and fly lo both do that. denkitribe has done quite a few performances like that. some other Japanese cats also. there must be others. depending on the genres considered, there are probably quite a few. eigenharp players for instance.

and i never really noticed that how few people live loop with synths or pads. reggie watts, beardy and the other beatboxers seem to have that style down pretty solid. its a wonder there isnt more coverage of people trying it with different instrumentation.

rabbit in the moon, uberzone, chemical brothers, and hybrid....to name a few off the top of my head. But this is back in the "good old days" where everyone was mostly hardware. IMO much more interesting to watch and way more talent required.

Tech Mentor

Been diggin the Tune Yards lately. She does some creative looping of her vocals and drums. Probably not for everyone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHuTXJMgOk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast