Live Performance VS DJing - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 3IJ View Post
    @mostapha

interesting, being able to work away from the laptop is probably the biggest draw for me. i would still like to see some basic features like groove templates added but it does get more tempting with each update.
    You still have to have the laptop connected…you just don't have to look at the software application for very much at all.

If you want to go completely away from the laptop, look at the Elektron stuff. It's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    Either way the 303 brings in a live aspect and it is why I chose to display the video in an attempt to exemplify what I mean by live performance. I definitely differentiate between DJs who solely use other artist's tracks from producers who perform their own tracks/loops live alongside additional hardware such as a drum machine, 303 or synth.

Do you not see the difference from track A ----> B mixing and live performance or am I imagining shit here?
    You're imagining shit.

Ableton alone can do everything you're talking about…including using 303 hardware or a software emulation of it. The fact that the only ableton DJs you've seen haven't used anything resembling the full power of the software doesn't mean that it can't do what you're talking about.

I don't think DJing is limited to A -> B mixing. If someone has a collection of audio tracks, whether they be loops, full tracks or stems, and then proceeds to play a handful at the same time and mess about with them they are a DJ in my eyes. If they are creating the music as they go by physically triggering different notes in the desired sequence they are a musician.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

Fair enough. Then what is all this "live PA" stuff about?

95% of the time it's a DJ trying to make himself look like he's worth more than he is in my experience.

Tech Mentor

Either that or there is a difference between mixing TRACK A TO B and playing self-created loops/improvising on the fly?

What do you mean by improvising?

Tech Mentor

Aren't you technically creating new tracks by re-arranging loops together and layering synths/instruments on top of the loops where as if you were solely DJing between track and track you're playing OTHER people's music?

Well where's the distinction? A breakcore loop could be denser and more complex than an entire minimal techno track. It's still just combining prefabricated sections of music. You're not actually doing anything musical- no musical theory is employed, no skillful muscle memory is being used like you would if you were pressing the keys of a piano. It's all done in advance.

Its all just fun with sound, so I'm not going to get into the semantics of what a "musician" is but whether or not its your material or someone elses material or a mixture of the two the dynamic is the same - youre messing with prerecorded material. Daedelus is a good example of this. The guy is "djing" a mix of his stuff as well as edits of other people material. Its fun, there is an element of improvisation but it still relies on pre prepared material. Dont let the interface confuse you. I mean his style of mixing can be accomplished with traktor, its just his preferred means of getting the job done. Its not like a guitar where the only prep required is tuning.

Tech Mentor

So bands that play their music live in front of an audience is not considered a "live performance"?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast