What powered speakers would you recommend for house parties?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What powered speakers would you recommend for house parties?

I want to start DJing house parties and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what speakers are ideal. I was looking at Mackie Thumps and Behringer 600w speakers. what do you guys think?

I have the behringher 215ds and I love em. I thought the sounded better than the mackies. And cheaper too
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

between those 2 choices id get the mackies myself
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Mentor

I have a pair of thumps and a pair of EV elx112p's. The thumps do what they say on the box but not anything more. They aren't particularly loud and the bass if pretty boomy. If you can spare the extra $300 or so to go with a pair of elx112p I would definitely go that route. They blow the thumps out of the water in every aspect, except the cabinet durability (thumps are plastic while the EVs are wood (less durable but much better sound)). They sound very clean and warm, are fairly light, have great connections on the back (2 x XLR & 1/4" TRS combo, RCA and XLR out for linking), have individual gain controls for the inputs and lastly they come in at a pretty affordable price.

Honestly it would be worth it to save a bit more and really look around craigslist for slightly better used speakers if you can- there is a big difference and you can really tell when you are on JBLs or even better QSCs comparing them. Then eventually add in a sub and it will bring your parties to another level.

When I did college parties at a large university and I brought my QSC system I always got comments about it being the best sounding party people had been to and word got around and people remembered, and I was a pretty shitty DJ then but everything sounded good on my setup.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Bkag View Post
    I have a pair of thumps and a pair of EV elx112p's. The thumps do what they say on the box but not anything more. They aren't particularly loud and the bass if pretty boomy. If you can spare the extra $300 or so to go with a pair of elx112p I would definitely go that route. They blow the thumps out of the water in every aspect, except the cabinet durability (thumps are plastic while the EVs are wood (less durable but much better sound)). They sound very clean and warm, are fairly light, have great connections on the back (2 x XLR & 1/4" TRS combo, RCA and XLR out for linking), have individual gain controls for the inputs and lastly they come in at a pretty affordable price.
    How do you think the EV elx112p's compare to these: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B412DSP.aspx
    Traktor Kontrol S4--AIAIAI TMA-1--Korg Mini Effects Pad--Korg Kaossilator--iMac

Tech Mentor

I don't think I have ever heard those exact speakers. But the other behringers I have heard are similar sounding to the thumps while I'd say the elx-112p is (oh man my head is gunna get ripped off) very similar sounding to the QSC powered 12" cabinets.

Tech Wizard

i have a pair of mackie thumps and i love em. the bass is good and loud enough for any house party. any louder and the party would just get shut down anyways. they're also really light and easy to carry around and setup.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Bkag View Post
    I don't think I have ever heard those exact speakers. But the other behringers I have heard are similar sounding to the thumps while I'd say the elx-112p is (oh man my head is gunna get ripped off) very similar sounding to the QSC powered 12" cabinets.
    So wait, im confused (sorry i know almost nothing about speakers) what would you recommend between the elx-122p and the qsc's? and what is the price difference.
    Traktor Kontrol S4--AIAIAI TMA-1--Korg Mini Effects Pad--Korg Kaossilator--iMac

Tech Guru

The RCF art series are very nice. I own a a pair of 312a's and love em. FBT's are awesome and incredibly light. Will be upgrading to the FBT max series next purchase.

Another thing to consider, you should run a Sub for true bass replication. 12" tops aren't really designed for this, particularly if you're playing EDM. Sub, active xover and 2 powered tops should see you right.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast