Kindle Fire vs Ipad 2 ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

you could buy the ipad and put the kindle app on the ipad! perfect
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Yeah I watched more kindle fire videos today and I'm pretty set on pre-ordering one....It's too good of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GI Trackt View Post
    Price of the Kindle Fire Cases is awesome. Apps (especially for DJ'ing/production) of the Ipad 2 are are awesome.

I know this comes down to personal circumstances/situation/needs, etc...but would I be making a horrible investment as a DJ if I bought the Kinde Fire? As in, am I really missing out on the DJ apps by not buying the Ipad 2?

(I'm most likely going to stick with Itch for a while so MIDI control is not likely to be a factor for me. I can't justify buying an Ipad 2 simply for sweet programs like iMaschine/TouchOSC, or can I?.....)

Thoughts?

edit: Mods this actually seems on topic to me now...could you maybe move this to the general forum so we can get more responses/views? Doesn't really matter though haha :-)

Tech Wizard

The Ipad is basically a big toy. Anything actually useful that can be done on it is the product of some amazing app development, but it is hard to get much serious stuff done on there. Now if Amazon is coming out with a less functional competitor I find it really hard to think you will get much more out of that than the books and media that it's designed for. Watching videos of the test model is like watching high school dunk mixtape for basketball players, it's too short and too cherry-picked to provide real information about what it will be like in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke5 View Post
    you could buy the ipad and put the kindle app on the ipad! perfect
    But can you read for 2 hours straight on a glossy display (as opposed to the kindle's matte e-paper display?). I am thinking there's going to be some eye fatigue issues there...I love my Kindle, would likely love an iPad, but not for reading on.
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Tech Wizard

Having an iPad, I used to love it, but now it is the domain of the family. Reading was tough for more than a hour. Everything else is as magically wonderful as Steve promised. Never owned a Kindle of any kind, but they look to be more readable and over all less "fun". Even stupid games like Block Me are a treat on iPad let alone Plants vs. Zombies which I think was waiting for the medium,
    Music apps, I can't get enough iPad time to play with, but iOS has a ton, thank goodness the kids are bored of my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaPsy View Post
    But can you read for 2 hours straight on a glossy display (as opposed to the kindle's matte e-paper display?). I am thinking there's going to be some eye fatigue issues there...I love my Kindle, would likely love an iPad, but not for reading on.
    thats true and the 1 month battery life for the kindle lol
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

As much as Apple tries to say that it's not a laptop replacement, it is definitely the case for me. The only thing I use my MacBook Pro for these days is Traktor and downloading music. Every other daily computing task is done on my iPad (email, facebook, web browsing, etc). It's a wonder to travel with being just over one pound. This is the primary reason why I love my iPad 2.

On top of that, I have games and various audio apps that are fun to mess around with. I'm not trying to do any "serious" audio work with it, but there are definitely several apps that are capable of doing more than just goofing around.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

From what I understand - the kindle only runs "amazon approved apps" and has its own marketplace that severely limits the amount of apps available.

You're going to have to wait for cyanogenmod or something similar. I wouldn't buy one of these on release day and expect it to work with ableton.

Looks like the tablet wars are getting even hotter! Now Barnes & Noble just released their rival to the Kindle Fire...the BN Nook Tablet. For $50 more than the Kindle Fire, you get twice the RAM, twice the on-board storage, AND microSD slot...

http://www.engadget.com/photos/bandn...-leak/#4582450
    http://www.engadget.com/photos/bandn...-leak/#4582451
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/03/bar...n-november-16/

So now the new question is: Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet? Go!!

Tech Guru

Wait! I'm almost positive that B&N will be announcing a similar product on Monday. It would have to be some form a fully functioning Android tablet as they have copied exactly what Amazon has done move for move starting after the Kindle DX.

Which maybe good for you as if one fails but is still a good product you may be able to grab one for 99$ or less. Kinda like the play books that went like hot cakes.

edit: Looks like GI Trackt dug up some info before the launch kudos.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast