Just offered a residency, shitting it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just offered a residency, shitting it.

Hey guys.

a bit of background, I'm a beginner/hobbyist DJ. I started about 18 months ago with a cracked version of virtual DJ (stereotypical, and illegal. I know, but I'm not going to lie), but I quickly outgrew that and bought a cheap controller and legit software (traktor + mixtrack pro) and messed around with traktor, got some decent mixes.

recently sold my controllers as I am unbelievably poor, but in a fortunate twist of fate, I won a TTM57SL, serato, ableton, dicers, and point blank tuition, which I am currently waiting to be delivered to me (received only the dicers and point blank course info so far). And with my bonus at the end of this month I intend to buy some TTs.

However, I've just been offered a residency in a trendy upscale bar (because a good friend of mine is assistant manager), playing light funky house, soulful house, you know, decent background stuff to get the head bobbing, no top 40 etc.

however, I've never even DJed a party before. Granted I've been playing around for fun for a year or so now, and I'm confident in my ability.

I just don't know what to do. I'll need to find out more before I accept, but it seems like too good an offer to pass up, but how do I know if I'm ready? I'm confident in my skills, but never played to a crowd before....

help ease my butterflies please!

just do it.

you learn 10x more from playing live than you ever will playing in your bedroom. while i agree people shouldnt take gigs that they arent ready for, sometimes you just gotta sink or swim to see if you have what it takes...

plus playing live is one of the most fun things in the world, especially if you can create a dancefloor outta nothing. better than drugs, almost better than sex.

btw, i hate you for winning that contest. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

oh and what are you intending on spinning with? your new setup? when is this residency supposed to start?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

There you go

Just do it, enjoy the trip, learn from it!
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Yeah do it for sure, don't be afraid. If you are nervous, then don't do too crazy stuff, effects all around and mixing with bad timing

Tech Guru

Gotta agree with most the posts here so far. It sounds crazy but when you play live it's like you somehow learn what would normally take a long time in your bedroom to learn. Things just click and happen spontaneously in a way that doesn't happen in the bedroom. Also you get real world feedback of what works and what doesn't. Nothing more frustrating then spending all that time practicing something that you think is awesome only to find out when you play live that people just ain't responding to it.

Tech Guru

Also don't even worry about messing up here and there, the only people who are ever going to notice a screw up are other DJ's every other people mistakes will go by completely unnoticed.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

"You only learn to DJ in clubs by DJing in Clubs"

-- Anthony Pappa

Now's your chance to get started, best of luck to ya, the best advice ever totally fuck up your first mix (I say go from something like Toytown into some mark farina track or some other bs) in a totally tempo fucked harmonically dissonant 2 minute train wreck of epic proportions so that way the night can only get better. And drink 2 beers before you go on (or take some valium ) hell Paul told Timothy to have a drink for his stomach and all that was for him preparing to get stoned to death, the worst that could happen there is some random asshole fucking with your shit...no worries :P
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

ill piggyback what everyone else is saying, just do it.
    plan ur first few transitions and after mixing a few tracks you'll get comfortable and will begin to have some fun...but dont get too comfy, simple transitions, i wouldnt try getting too crazy with it, imho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast