Minimixes, Tips & Feedback

Default Minimixes, Tips & Feedback

I spent some time trying to find threads or blog posts discussing the nuances of making a minimix, however I found it to be quite lacking. The information I did find was about mastering and cleaning up the final recording. Not quite what I wanted, which was more along the lines of style, transitions, duration, etc. and how minimixes were different entities from regular set recordings.

Also feedback on this would be appreciated, it's pretty rough in places but I think you'll be able to get the general gist of what I was going for.

• Demonstrate variety of styles/genres (that I like for the most part at least )
    • Make clear/distinct transitions
    • Keep it ~15-20 minutes maximum
    • Keep things changing and interesting (to keep person from just fast forwarding)

What are your tips for creating minimixes, or what mixes have you done and are willing to share?

A very quick and dirty mini mix I made last week. Was an audition mix for the college Halloween party.
    Radio (Bastille Edit) - Duck Sauce
    Vice ii - Database
    Alcoholic (Dada Life Remix) - Tim Berg
    Michael Jackson Is Not Dead - Spankox
    No Beef (Instrumental Mix) - Afrojack & Steve Aoki
    Big Mama (StereoHeroes Remix) - Demolition Disco
    C.T.F.O. (feat M.I.A) (NERO Remix) - SebastiAn
    The Time (Dirty Bit) - The Black Eyed Peas
    Hypnotize U (NERO Remix) - N.E.R.D.
    Derezzed (The Glitch Mob Remix) - Daft Punk
    HURTLOVE - NO CEREMONY

Thanks again guys.

I listened to it, was well done, though as far as my style of mixes which are mostly drum and bass with long blends, I don't see myself doing too many minimix mixes without a mess of preplanning and to be honest, I've never been able to make a decent sounding mix where I plan out the mix...
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

but I'm gonna go and try to make a short mix and see what comes of it... give me a little bit and I'll post my attempt up

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.

I understand some genres are all about the long subtle transitions, and I do appreciate the nuances involved in that. But when giving someone who want's to find out what kind of music you play, it seems unrealistic, to me at least, for them to listen to an hour and a half long mix.

I guess I'm referring to minimixes as a cross between a Demo CD and a promotional mash-up track. To demonstrate your general skills and create general interest without requiring too much time investment from someone. While at the same time being small and short enough for someone to throw on their iPods and listen to it on shuffle without getting bored of it too quickly and constantly skipping over it.

Also I'd like to check out your mix when it's ready
    Last edited by alex.ketch; 10-23-2011 at 06:54 PM.

ahh I see, the minimix as an advertising vehicle, well then why not make a 25 minute mix with however many songs you would get in that length be it 5, 10 or go all josh wink and just play one song's stems for 2 hours (which I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing)

Sorry, I edited my reply once thinking it through a bit more. Not quite sure I'm being quite clear enough though.

But that's what I was hoping to find out. How people approach and execute it.

Like you said, playing a single song stem for two hours isn't much fun, but I know some people find songs that have common lyrics and build a mashup out of that. Not a method I'm personally a fan of, but some similar tried and tested methods are what I was looking for.
    Last edited by alex.ketch; 10-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.

my quick attempt at minimixing (and my first attempt at that)