Downsizing traktor library & getting rid of nonDJ tracks, anyway to make this easier?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Downsizing traktor library & getting rid of nonDJ tracks, anyway to make this easier?

So right now I have my Traktor directory set to my main music folder and I have it set to automatically import folders at startup. This way whenever I update my collection it automatically imports new stuff to traktor.

So right now the way it is setup is I have all the same music I have in itunes in Traktor, this includes about 15,000 non dance related tracks I would probably never DJ with which I want out of Traktor that are currently in my collection. If I ever did need them I could just go through itunes in traktor but I want to streamline my Traktor library to electronic dance music.

If I delete the tracks from my collection in Traktor, wouldn't traktor just re-import them the next time I sart it up since it is set to automatically import?

Is there any way to delete these tracks from my collection and have traktor exclude these file on future auto-imports? Is there any way for me to do this easier than manually changing the file location of the original songs so Traktor doesn't import them? Thanks.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 10-25-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Could you not use the iTunes intergration for Traktor? iTunes' smart playlists are pretty sweet.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    Could you not use the iTunes intergration for Traktor? iTunes' smart playlists are pretty sweet.
    Well yeah, what I'm saying is I want to remove all the non dance stuff that is currently in my traktor library and have it so traktor doesn't automatically re-import them without having to rearrange all my files.

Tech Mentor

Do you have them tagged a certain way different from the other tracks? You could use Trainspotter and create a smart list, then bring it into Traktor, then delete the tracks. Even if it's a 80% solution it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisCreative View Post
    Do you have them tagged a certain way different from the other tracks? You could use Trainspotter and create a smart list, then bring it into Traktor, then delete the tracks. Even if it's a 80% solution it's a start.
    What I'm wondering though is even if I delete them from traktor, would traktor just automatically import them again since I automatically import my music folders at startup? I'm trying to get around manually changing my music file locations and I don't want to have to turn automatic music folder import off in traktor.

Tech Mentor

You could do the following:

"normal music" manage as such
    "DJ music" list as a collaboration so iTunes puts it into a single folder. Then point Traktor to that folder.

Tech Wizard

Why get rid of them? Maybe just make lots of really detailed playlists?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    What I'm wondering though is even if I delete them from traktor, would traktor just automatically import them again since I automatically import my music folders at startup? I'm trying to get around manually changing my music file locations and I don't want to have to turn automatic music folder import off in traktor.
    Traktor automatically loads itunes in a separate folder; it's not part of 'the collection,' which is all your analyzed files. I plan on doing this at some point too (my collection is a hot mess currently) so I've been thinking about it; It seems you could organize all your stuff in itunes, then only import some of your itunes folders into 'the collection.' Then when playing Traktor, you should always use the collection to browse for tracks rather than itunes. If you must dig out something you didn't import to the collection, import it to the collection first and then use it.

The downside of this is you can't use smart playlists, or at least you can't guarantee that your collection will have up-to-date versions of what's in those lists, but you can just drag the new files to the right folder in the collection when you need to. Or just right-click "import to collection" or "show in collection" if it's already there.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Traktor automatically loads itunes in a separate folder; it's not part of 'the collection,' which is all your analyzed files. I plan on doing this at some point too (my collection is a hot mess currently) so I've been thinking about it; It seems you could organize all your stuff in itunes, then only import some of your itunes folders into 'the collection.' Then when playing Traktor, you should always use the collection to browse for tracks rather than itunes. If you must dig out something you didn't import to the collection, import it to the collection first and then use it.

The downside of this is you can't use smart playlists, or at least you can't guarantee that your collection will have up-to-date versions of what's in those lists, but you can just drag the new files to the right folder in the collection when you need to. Or just right-click "import to collection" or "show in collection" if it's already there.
    Ah let me clarify, I don't allow itunes to manage or copy my files (I hate how it does it). I have one big music folder called "Music Library Master" and in there I have the bulk of my non-dj music sorted by artist>album>song then I have a few other folders which are giant unsorted clusterfucks of electronic music. I point traktor to "Music Library Master" and it imports everything in this folder at startup.

Now I want to separate my non-DJ type music from here since it is getting too big and confusing to have all this other stuff mixed in with my traktor collection and makes browsing for dance music difficult to browse through. I eventually want to get most of my collection optimized by trainspotter with cover art, release, proper beatport tags, key, etc

I'm afraid the only way to do this is to do some file management surgery- I'm thinking the easiest might be to duplicate my huge music folder onto an external hard drive, then go through traktor and right click and delete all the stuff I don't want in there and click the box to delete it from the disk too so it trims down that folder to dance music. Then I have my non dance music backed up to another location and I copy it to a separate folder. Is there any other way I could do it? I'm thinking I could also just delete the artist folders I don't want in finder after I backup the collection then when I reopen traktor and it does a consistency check it will come up with a bunch of stuff missing, would there then be a way to group all the tracks that are missing files and delete them from the collection at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    would there then be a way to group all the tracks that are missing files and delete them from the collection at once?
    yes, once you have checked consistency traktor will tell you how many tracks are missing, once done you can select to relocate your tracks or in your case delete all missing tracks.

on the subject of deleting from harddrive through traktor. Is it just me or does it leave the empty folder on your harddrive to confuse you.

surely there is a way to have it remove the folder form its origin all together?
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast