Traktor - Using Keylock make tracks sound wimpy
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Traktor - Using Keylock make tracks sound wimpy

I have an issue i stumble upon, and dunno how to solve this...

I love to mix harmonically, esp. the A to B blendings, are awesome.
    Therefor I use Keylock, so i know for sure, i'm picking the right track to mix it in with. (Using Mixed In Key 5 to determine which key my tracks are in).

Tho, I notice when Keylock is on, my tracks sound wimpy. It's not that bad, but when u put it back to it's orginal BPM and without Keylock, the track is so more pumpin' and vibrant.

My settings in Traktor Pro 2 are:
    Tempo Bend - 100% (Tempo Bend sensitivity not checked)
    Sync Mode - BeatSync
    Keylock - Quality = HiQ / Mode = Normal

Any solution to keep the soul alive of a tune while playing it at different speed/keylocking?

Sure, i could mix a track in and slidely move the speed/bpm back to it's original speed, but this way, when it's lower than i played before, I feel like i'm taking energy away outta my set...

Advice is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post
    Any solution
    Short answer - no. Using keylock means you have to cut information out of an audio signal, or synthesize information into it, which inherently means that it'll sound different.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The closer you are playing the track to the original BPM the less resampling will be needed to keep the track in key. If you are off by less than 4BPM or so you will notice it less. Any more than that and you will definitely hear it. Your only solution is really to play the tracks as close to the original BPM as possible (of course this kinda defeats the purpose of key lock).

I actually find the reverse to be true. The closer to the original BPM I am, but with keylock on, the more I can hear an odd "digitization" of the track, almost as if it's a transcode. The further away from the original BPM I go, the less I hear this sound, as it sounds more like a different key.

Either way, I've almost completely gone away from keylock because of this. Just about every mix I have now, I hear this digitization coming through loud and clear when I run keylock 100% and it just sounds... bad.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    I actually find the reverse to be true. The closer to the original BPM I am, but with keylock on, the more I can hear an odd "digitization" of the track, almost as if it's a transcode. The further away from the original BPM I go, the less I hear this sound, as it sounds more like a different key.

Either way, I've almost completely gone away from keylock because of this. Just about every mix I have now, I hear this digitization coming through loud and clear when I run keylock 100% and it just sounds... bad.
    I use to have this problem with older versions of Traktor... but, at least for me the problem is history... I always use key lock now

I believe that the problem is mitigated somewhat by the fast cpu setting in preferences and also by not changing the tempo (pitch?) by more than 4 percent or so...just my experiences
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I try to stick to around 3%, but sometimes will go over that if needed. But that's rare because in practice that gives me 6% to play with.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

... can't do much about using pitch change algorithms, transients are removed and so on and so on... I hardly do in-key mixing myself nowadays, then again it's seldom needed in techno/tech house.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I try to stick to around 3%, but sometimes will go over that if needed. But that's rare because in practice that gives me 6% to play with.
    Just experimented with a lower quality mp3 and I do hear this effect.. but not with my normal 320 and above... wondering if y'all r using low bit rate files and if this has something to do with it?

I get that effect with .wavs on my HD 25 iis and my RKT 6s.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast