Carl Cox video - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carl Cox video

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    [list=1]
    he thought his subs were broken because they made a boom instead of a crunch, filthy, garbage honky woof.
    That made me snort milk out my nose hahahahahah how do I get that in a sig

What was going on with the left CDJ at around 9.25 where the center indicator was bouncing back every rotation at the red mark? (same with the right CDJ at around 10.20)

His new album uses USB technology... you don't buy the album as mp3 or CD, or vinyl... He is still using Traktor... I believe this set was done for promotional purposes for one... Coxy normally uses a Vestax mixer that was originally custom built for him and then went into production by them. I have been on tour with him and used his personal mixer that gets carted everywhere for him. I think he is pushing the USB Album right now, so this may be one of the reasons for the use of the CDJs. He was on Traktor all summer though...

Does anyone else think the video isn't all that good?
    Im not massively into house so maybe im missing something, but I was expecting a bit more from someone so famous and revered.

Absolutely preparing to get flamed here.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

DLing it and will give my honest humble opinion. I have heard all my DJ heroes over the years play both killer and shit sets. Same as me. Same as you? But yeah...I will be critical!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I thought it might have been a little off, but I was sitting at my compuer watching it. If I had been in the club it probably would've rocked my ass off.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

CC is always a big inspiration.

Even though I don't always dig his music, the energy, the smile, it's just too hard not to get into, you know? None of that poser I'm a cool dj dude attitude. I wish I was that engaging behind the decks.

Thanks for that post Chris.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Tech Convert

god hes so good...also makes me want to play minimal to get that much action with the affects

Quote Originally Posted by RealChemist View Post
    god hes so good...also makes me want to play minimal to get that much action with the affects

Same!

Everytime I watch Hawtin or Cox ....I also think...Mmmmm...I need to get me some minimal tracks!

What I do to show off to my mates...is load up the Stock Samples that came with TSP2 ....like the Techno tracks...pretty minimal.

Then jam the FX and loops and scratch over the top making Psychedelic sound FX etc.

They love it.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by 16b441khz View Post
    Thank you so much for your response. Made alot of sense to other questions i needed answers for. This attenuator that is on the back of the DJM-2000, is it also on the back of the other DJM series? Last time i was out I noticed the headline act running a DJM-800 way into the red and it sounded like absolute balls. I left because i felt worried about my hearing.
    You're welcome.

The 600, 700, and 800 all have one. The 900 appears not to based on pictures online, but that wouldn't make sense. I haven't taken a close look at one from the back because I haven't had to wire one up.

It is still possible to screw up badly enough that it clips. Tracks themselves could be messed up. And the sound guy might not know what he's doing and clip the f*** out of an amp or something as well. Using a digital mixer doesn't mean that you're supposed to not care…it's just slightly more forgivable to see someone peaking at +9 if you don't know how the sound system is set up. Xones are the same way. I tend to run mine around +5 on the master, and it still gives me a fairly cold level on the record and booth outputs compared to every other mixer I've used.

In some ways, I really miss my Vestax. It didn't lie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RealChemist View Post
    Same!

Everytime I watch Hawtin or Cox ....I also think...Mmmmm...I need to get me some minimal tracks!
    I've kinda had that thought too, and I keep buying them…don't get the same results. IMHO, even with a really great DJ, minimal only sounds good when you're playing on an epically huge sound system with a huge crowd. Yeah…you'll never get there if you don't practice it, but…that's probably never going to be my life. I feel like I might as well go another direction that I might actually get something out of. But, that's just me. I totally see the appeal.

I either need to stop buying the occasional minimal track or actually buy enough to throw a set. Either way….

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast