Not a fan of effects?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Not a fan of effects?

Ive been learning how to dj with traktor and an X1 the past month or so and I see improvement all the time, especially since I started recording myself. I still cant seem to wrap my brain around effects though. Ive read a lot of effect combo threads and watched a lot of videos on youtube but I never produce anything I like when I freestyle with effects. I have a frame of mind to let the music speak for itself so far.

My question is two fold I guess. Are there other people out there who dont really like to use effects? Also, what effects do you use specifically for buildups?

I do think that most of them sound cheesy, especially if they are overused. However I do use them the basic ones such as filter, delay and reverb moderately. The 'hawtin' style effect is also a winner if used correctly.

ome people use effects far far too much and they just sound terrible imo.

Tech Mentor

The trick is to use them only when you know they'll enhance the music for the crowd. The best time for this is generally the build up to a drop or a break. Also learn just a few at a time, the effects selection in traktor is HUGE. Start with beatmasher, filter, delay and maybe one or two others. Then once you've mastered them, start on a few more.

Tech Guru

a little goes along way... i don't need to be reminded that i'm listening to a DJ every 2 minutes with obnoxious knob twiddling and cheesy flanger/beatmashing sounds.

pick songs that sound TOO GOOD TO RUIN WITH LAYERS OF GOOFY FX.

Tech Mentor

You have no obligation to youse effects. Don't if it doesn't sound good its too often overused!

I use delay freeze a lot but to me it's really unobtrusive effect. Beatmasher is fun but must be used spareingly.

I try and only play tunes that I dont want to ruin with fx
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use various delays, tape, t3 and regular. Phaser and flanger get some use, but I like the ones on my mixer better than Traktors.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I love playing with the effects at home. Playing out, or recording, I try to avoid them as much as possible. Echo freeze is the only one I tend to use in public, and I try to keep that to a minimum too.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I spent the first several years of my DJing without being able to use effects. Realistically, I didn't have access to effects that didn't suck until I switched to Ableton and then Traktor…I spent a LOT of time on Ableton building effects devices that were playable…and then didn't use them.

When I switched to Traktor, it was one of the things I was excited about.

Now…my X1s don't even have controls for effects mapped. I don't remember the last time I used anything but a delay or a beatmasher, and I don't remember them ever adding enough to my sets to bother with.

My feeling is that if I'm so tired of a track that I feel it needs effects, I probably should go ahead and delete it. If it happens in the first month or so, I probably shouldn't have bought that track.

But…I'm weird. In a lot of ways, I don't belong on DJTT.
    Last edited by mostapha; 10-27-2011 at 12:58 AM.

I try not to use them. Maybe just to clean up (92/filter) and transition (delay freeze/ reverb).

Kinda funny how this subject came up cause I was thinking something along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I use various delays, tape, t3 and regular. Phaser and flanger get some use, but I like the ones on my mixer better than Traktors.
    How is the 1600 treating you sir? Think I may be making a purchase soon...
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast