Another headphone question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another headphone question

Hey guys first off i have searched and saw all the different threads concerning headphones. Basically my buddy can get me the beats pro or studios for about 200-250 dollars since he works at best buy. I have seen mixed opinions about if these are worth buying or not. Im currently using some 70 dollar skull candys that are decent just not what im looking for.

I was also looking at lines like the pionner HDJ-2000, although these would be 100 dollars more is something like that more worth it? I plan on using these to DJ but also use them just hanging out around the house on my computer or ipod or stereo room setup.

Im basically looking for something that will be good to listen to and DJ with when things are loud, but also something i can bring home and plug in and get the good crisp sound and low end im looking from for a headphone. I know in audio you cant get everything you want in equipment without paying a good amount but hopefully someone has a suggestion.

Tech Convert

I don't have any experience with the Pioneer's but I can tell you the Beats by Dre are pretty heavy on the base. Probably too much for accurate DJing in my opinion. They are decent for just listening to music at home or whatever but if you want a honest representation of your mix I wouldn't suggest the Beats line of headphones

Thanks for the reply. I read reviews and keep seeing that the bass is a bit heavy wasnt sure if maybe the studios lessened the bass a little (or maybe the pro's,i get them confused) but didnt know if one was more accurate or not and not so bass filled.

Tech Mentor

If you are someone that does not smash his headphones onto walls, take a listening with the "Ultrasone DJ-1 Pro", they got what you described. Only downfall is, they have no metal joints.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

xone xd-53s if they fit your head

Honestly man once you start considering the high end quality headphones, it's really a personal choice in terms of comfort/looks/feel/budget. You're going to get everyone recommending their favorite so your best bet is to go to maybe a Guitar Center and try em on. Just make sure you're considering between these:

HDJ-2000, Sen HD-25, Beats Pro, TMA-1, Ultrasone DJ-1

Those should have you covered. Once you're in this high quality range, it really comes down to personal preference/budget - no matter how many internet posts/pages/forums you read.

I personally have had great experience with the HD-25's, they were just a little tight on my head (this can be a good thing bc you don't want to listen to music for long periods of time as it can damage your hearing. High volume is NOT the only way to damage your ears, long periods of listening at normal levels will do it too!). Recently decided to give the HDJ-2000's a try but I might just buy another HD-25 again. Waiting to get back to the states so I can go to my local GC and try them on. The Beats Pro should be considered simply bc of the build quality but I personally think they're way overpriced (maybe even overrated) and definitely really cheesy/jumping on the Dre bandwagon.

Gluck dude!

Tech Wizard

I own a pair of HDJ-2000s and love them. If you look on the internet properly you'll find some for less than the $350 price. Also you could try price matching when you find a good price to get it even lower.

Thanks man, if i spend this money on a headphone i want to make sure its the right one. But the only place close to listen to anything like this is a guitar center which is 3 hours away which sucks because im not sure when i can make it up that way. Im really like the Pionner line so i may have to make a trip sooner than i thought, the 150-200 dollar price tag i like a little more of some of the headphones mentioned but i dont mind spending more for superior quality..

Tech Mentor

try to find a place that will let you try them on. your going to want to consider the comfort, sound isolation, build quality, sound quality of each can the pick whatever suites you best. like GI trackt said above it mainly comes down to personal preference

I have the xone xd-53s and they are great. i was considering the TMA-1 and HDJ 2000, but picked these because they had bigger drivers than the TMAs and they where cheaper than the HDJs.

I love the Audio-Technica ATH M-50's. They have great sound quality, and response from 15 - 28,000 Hz, which is more than most. The thing I love about them is their versatility, I use them for casual listening on my way to school, for DJing, and also for production, which is more than you can ask from any headphone. And I can honestly say that they perform in all three categories. They're not as advertised as many some of the other headphones, but they are professional, there are Dj's that use them, and countless numbers of recording studios. The best thing though is that you can find a pair for around $100 US.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast