AKAI MPD24, M-Audio Trigger Finger or KORG padKONTROL?

Default AKAI MPD24, M-Audio Trigger Finger or KORG padKONTROL?

Hey, I've been a member for a few weeks now but this is my first thread.

Been really appreciating the great advice and tips.

I'm looking to get a nice pad controller for use with Live and Traktor (probably more Live than Traktor but the option would always be nice).

It looks like these are the leading contenders.

- AKAI MPD24
    - M-Audio Trigger Finger
    - KORG padKONTROL

I'm leaning towards the MPD24 as it looks better built and layout than the Trigger Finger and has a few more knob and sliders than the padKONTROL which could be handy.

Any thoughts, info or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I'm embarrassed to say, I currently have the erm cough Numark Total Kontrol (I bought it b4 I found this forum!) and am looking to upgrade to a VCI100 but wanna invest in a pad controller first. Thought this would be worth mentioning in case it has an impact on the best solution.

Cheers

hey socialpest, i have the mpd 24 and i use it for live ... it is pretty nice for launching samples and tweaking or playing the drum racks. you get 4 levels 64 pads 32 knobs and 24 sliders. only thing that bugs me is that mmc messages for the transport buttons arent supported in live and u cant or i havent found a way to map them otherwise (maybe someone one on this forum can help with that)still a great unit.....hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by lullabybeatz View Post
    only thing that bugs me is that mmc messages for the transport buttons arent supported in live
    Bome's MIDI translator will capture MMC messages and translate them to ordinary NoteOns. The Classic version version can do that task, so no need to shell out cash.

MPD24 is an OK device, I'm not over the moon with it - it's got rotary controllers that you can't use as rotary controller. The physical device is good but it's internal software is a bit useless, and it's the MIDI you can get out of a device that is ultimately what counts. I'd try some others first - the TriggerFinger has the benefit of being cheaper, reliable (early MPD24s had issues with their knobs requiring replacing the entire device) and has a lot of users.

Tech Wizard

I use the Trigger Finger and I love it. It's cheap and does it's job. I use it mostly for SSL, so I have it mapped out for the most common controls, that I use--like jumping to cue points, loading tracks, and triggering loops--and now I hardly touch my laptop. Also, I could use my drum kick mic stand to hold it up for gigs because it has a mic thread on the bottom. There's 16 banks, which is useful for going across different programs/presets, etcetera.

Although I don't like the pads of the 24, I do like that you can change banks with one touch of a button. And yes, it's rugged, and has more knobs and sliders than the TF.

Apparently, the PadKontrol has the most sensitive pads out of the above mentioned. I like the pads on this one, but the build is really plasticky and toy-like. It's not only a great product for digital DJing, but for production purposes, as well. Just check out the videos on youtube--you can do a lot with the x-y pad. I believe you can also program it to the x-y effects in Ableton.

Mmmm interesting. It seems with all the research that I'm doing people have positive things to say about all three of these devices. In Europe there is not a great difference in the price so this is not so much a factor to me. I see that not being able to use the transport buttons would be a bit of a waste om the mpd24 - tho if this can be fixed with software coolio A plus point for the TF seems to be that Live LE is bundled with it which would save me a fair bit on buying the full version of live 7.

lullabybeatz - what do you mean about the rotary controllers not being able to be used in the mpd24 - is this cos they are 360 degrees and this doesn't work with traktor? Mmmm maybe I'm leaning towards the TF now - though for some reason I have a massive soft spot for KORG products. All the ones I have seen in the flesh look/feel gorgeous, but I haven't had my hands on a padKONTROL yet. I know I have to buy a KORG something one day Anyone had experience with a pK? I heard the pads that light up are sweet!

[EDIT] I think I'll go with the Trigger Finger. Seems what most people are happy with and it's a bonus that it's the cheapest by about 30 EUR Thanks a lot for all the great advice.
    Last edited by SOCIALPEST; 06-08-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCIALPEST View Post
    A plus point for the TF seems to be that Live LE is bundled with it which would save me a fair bit on buying the full version of live 7.
    The New Akai MPD32 Comes With Ableton6 LE.
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

XY pads are hard to come by on alot of devices, knobs and faders however are not- so my vote goes on the korg.

It also has shiney LED's :eek:

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have two PadKontrols right now for Cue Juggling and beatz... I'd recommend them. You have 16 banks, so that's 256 assignable pads, 32 assignable pots and 16 different ways to use your X/Y pad just by hitting two buttons. It does feel plasticy, but those pads are super sensitive, they light up, and when you don't use it they do a little dance, which is kinda nice.

Like Bento said, you can get lots of gear with lots of faders and pots, but there aren't many assignable X/Y pads. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    XY pads are hard to come by on alot of devices, knobs and faders however are not- so my vote goes on the korg.
    Mmmm that is a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It does feel plasticy, but those pads are super sensitive, they light up, and when you don't use it they do a little dance, which is kinda nice.
    Now I'm severely tempted by the Korg PK. XY pad could be fun and dancing lights sound awesome