Cruise Ship Gigs
    Tech Wizard

Default Cruise Ship Gigs

I kinda wanted to borrow from the day job thread and ask about getting gigs on cruises.

What I want to know is:
    How did you manage to land the gig, just saw an opening/sent a resume or did you have a connect?

What kind of music were you asked to play? Did you have creative freedom (within reason) or did they restrict you to top40/pop/wedding dj style?

What's it like living and working on the ship?
    onesheet.com/th0ughtcr1me
    spinning and creating hip-hop/electronic music

this thread on the serato forum is informative:

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/22443

Tech Wizard

thanks, it is
    onesheet.com/th0ughtcr1me
    spinning and creating hip-hop/electronic music

Tech Wizard

I work on a cruise ship, the quarters are cramped the dining for crew often sucks, not always, sometimes a mess chef really cares. The people are from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds, which is the best part. It isn't for everyone, as many liberties I have off work or on a normal job don't exist on ship. I like it well enough, when a rotation on board is going great it is wonderful, good roommates, fun at work, etc. When it is going poorly, horrible roommates, a crap schedule where I never see daylight, dick for a boss, captain making trivial things into bigger incidents, it is a living hell to be there. Things are in a constant state of change, new boss, always means new season new rules. When the new boss is at the top the whole structure gets shaken.

It is different and the same for "entertainment" and the other help. Entertainment general have more ship liberties for dining, and two man cabins, instead of three or four. They generally aren't relied on as key safety positions, fire fighting or life boat, but are given an "await orders" emergency roll.

We do a "white hot party" once a week, in which you would be able to have some freedom to drop current dance music, but really you will be going back to classics a fair bit. Other times it depends, on the cruise, the event, and probably the line you work. As the dj, you will probably be asked to not only to play music but possibly other cruise staff tasks, such as call bingo or some other kind of games by the pool. The dj on my ship performs near nightly in the "club" with a selection of current club rap to motown. It really is a cross genre job, and that genre will rarely be underground edm.

I seriously thought about taking the dj gig, when we lost our last one. I just don't think I would get the satisfaction that I do from cooking. I do however really enjoy ship life, but think in the next year am going to go to other hotel work, to be closer with my family.