Does using a controller prohibit playing in top 40 clubs??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Does using a controller prohibit playing in top 40 clubs??

Hey all, Ive got a quick question I wanted to hear some of your opinions. One of my main goals is to be able to hold residencies in Vegas or LA ect ect but I know ALL of the big name clubs has their own set of CDJs or 1200s. I currently use an S2/S4 and have only messed arond with CDJs/1200s like once.

Do you guys/gals think it will be looked down upon or even prevent me from playing at those big name clubs if I'm not one of those Djs that uses club gear, instead I bring my own controller.

thanks!

do you dj at a club now?
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ST.PE` View Post
    do you dj at a club now?
    ya I play like 4-5x a week but I play all night. My main concern is for when Im playing before/after somebody

i think that you should be able to use everything available at yiur disposal. in this case, its cdj/ technics. i honestly dislike using sync. however if you arent really capable of using cdj or technics it can be counted as minus points for u....

why?

In theory, djs should be able to play on any format. u bringing a controller goes against that... plus why bothe hauling that too! i prefer showing up with my lappy and an audio 4 than my big ass S4....

What? I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    ya I play like 4-5x a week but I play all night. My main concern is for when Im playing before/after somebody
    with that much experience, it shouldn't matter, but good to learn.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

I agree a DJ should be able to play on any format. Also some booths are so crowded there is really no choice but to use their gear. Also if you are hanging out by the booth chatting up the other resident and he goes, "hey you want to spin a few?" This could be your chance. What are you gonna do say, "no, I don't have my S4 with me"

Good thing is a mixer is a mixer. It has a crossfader and up faders. I have yet to see a mixer set up without these two controls. CDJs and TT's have a start and stop button. Beat matching is beat matching. So if you can master these basics, you should be good to go.

I personally have Serato SL and Traktor on my laptop as wells as Virtual DJ (my primary use) Just so I know how to work the popular software out there. Ya just never know. I learned on TT's so I am good with that. I use a Denon 3700 and DNMC6000. My preference is the 3700's and Virtual DJ, but I can work with just about anything out there. I am not bragging, I'm by no means a great DJ, but I can make do with what's in from of me.

To answer the original question though. I have use controller at clubs before, some DJ's frown on it, some don't care. Bottomline is how good you sound and whether or not you get people dancing and keep them there drinking.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 11-01-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Tech Wizard

I have use controller at clubs before, some DJ's frown on it, some don't care. Bottomline is how good you sound and whether or not you get people dancing and keep them there drinking.[/QUOTE]

+1

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gre3nergy View Post
    I have use controller at clubs before, some DJ's frown on it, some don't care. Bottomline is how good you sound and whether or not you get people dancing and keep them there drinking.
    +1

Tech Mentor

Ya I agree with both above. @truewind It would definitely be good to learn and play anything. I dont think its a big deal "hauling" an S2 around (S4 is def a bit bulky) but you can just mount the S2 on a stand above the other DJs turntable and plug in that way but I see your point it is def an extra hassle.

@St Pe, unfortunately I dont think anyone will care. eventhough I play all week Im only playing for 200-300 and not in a big name club. A vegas wner probable wouldnt care all that much...unfortunately

@DJ ATX, Ive actually thought about this a lot, 'what if someone is like hey lets jam, play some tracks' I'll look like a dick if I said no. And to your other point I know I can rock a big crowd I just feel like not using club gear is looked down upon and that I can play better with gear Im comfortable with. I guess its just getting comfortable with everything maybe

I guess I've always just been taught as a musician to bring your own gear that you're comfortable with and play. I'd be sad not to have my hipass/lopass filters though like my S2 haha!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast