Always Top 40/Open Format Negativity here - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

ask yourself this...

Why do alot of on here play house?

Because we got tired of the mainstream and wanted something different...

Bravo to you for wanting to play across genres and bpms...but alot of us older Djs have been there done that...my view of what i do now is that i have all these records that i think are great and i want to share them with you...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    ask yourself this...

Why do alot of on here play house?

Because we got tired of the mainstream and wanted something different...

Bravo to you for wanting to play across genres and bpms...but alot of us older Djs have been there done that...my view of what i do now is that i have all these records that i think are great and i want to share them with you...
    Dude i am an "older DJ"... I play top 40 because it pays for my house/car/holidays/clothes/food.

Ive been playing hiphop/house/funk/soul etc all my life as well as a LOT of Indie.

Its not a case of one thing or another. I never got tired of the mainstream cus i was never part of the mainstream.

I dont "want" to play top 40... i do it for the money.

I got into punk as a kid and DJd at Youth Club playing punk and post-punk. i then got into hip hop & funk (which seemed like a natural progression from punk). I started playing Top 40 cus i got offered a job that meant i could leave my day job and DJ and do nothing else.

My record collection is huge. My love of music is unlimited.

Cus i DJ Top 40 doesnt preclude me from DJing and loving other music. It actually means i can buy more of what i love cus top40 djing pays well.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Take the Maroon Five tune. Its just a pop song. Its MASSIVE, its got a 4/4 beat that makes it easy to play in a Dance set. Its got crossover appeal. These are the kinds of bread and butter tunes that i love. I dont actually like the song but i dont hate it. Its one of those tunes that instantly massive and so its instantly hated by people who dont like Top 40 music.

Hhahahaha......I fucking love that song!!! Chicks love it.

I'm 33. Im not that young of chap myself fellas.....and really there is also mainstream house music out there. We just had a concert here for Halloween and it was SHM and that shit was as sold out as it could get. Very mainstream, but it's not "Top 40" so to speak. I like both. I enjoy an after hours at space with a bunch of pilled out people having a great time as much as the next guy......but my point is here in this community someone is going to call Karlos a sellout for playing Top 40 to pay his bills and not "keeping" it real, as if mainstream music was something horrible and the guy is a GOOD WORKING DJ. I say give him his props for keeping up with 10 Genres. Best thing I think he said was that he sometimes scratches a song in.
    Last edited by haze324; 11-01-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Why i don't like top 40 and top 40 djs ? I'll give you few points :

1) Not my taste

2) Tracks in top 40 are here because that's why they were made. They have been made for money, not music.

3) I like to dig tracks, and provide my audience things that they don't know. You (Top 40 djs) are just looking into charts, and play them from #40 to #1.
    May I remind you that track selection is the FIRST thing you learn when you want to dj. This step is missing. All your soul is gone, you are just a fucking jukebox.

4) Following point #3, i would say that playing top 40 is going the easy way.
    Easy ? Why ? Cause the things that you will play are know and liked by your audience before you even start your set.

And don't tell me skill is needed to play top 40.
    To ALL OF YOU that say "spinning Rihanna, Nirvanna and LFMAO in the same set requires skills". Dudes. Dudes.
    First, sync. Won't debate about this again, but pushing a button is not what i call skill. Or if the tempo difference is too big : break on a break, backspin, or echo freeze.
    Whooooaaa, that's some nice skills !!

To conclude, i think we don't see DJing the same way. You think that a DJ hass to please the crowd. True. But you are missing a big part.
    I do think that people want to be taken in a journey, and discover things. With top 40, it as ridiculous as taking them in a journey across they neighbourhood. It's known, pale, soulless (don't know if it's the correct word but you got the point)
    Doing in the depth of youtube or random polish/russian/whatever language you don't know s*** about to dig THE track you were looking for for 2 months (not mentionning people spinning vinyls, digging tracks in dark and dusty shops) and rock the crowd with them is just WAY better.

You see a DJ like a jukebox, i would say that a DJ is more like a travel guide/teacher that brings new things to his audience.

PS : all the hate i just wrote does not concerns people like a guy who posted before who play top 40 because they have to.
    My hate is 100% dedicated to people that feel pro when they rock the crown with popular tracks that everyone has heard on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    3)You (Top 40 djs) are just looking into charts, and play them from #40 to #1.
    May I remind you that track selection is the FIRST thing you learn when you want to dj. This step is missing. All your soul is gone, you are just a fucking jukebox.
    I do not consider myself a DJ of any style in it entirety.
    But you my freind & I mean this in a respectful manner are insulting many a DJ with many a year experience in life and the club/rave scene than the 1 year I believe you have been spinning.

this thread needs a lock up before tempers flare.

What happened to a Humble community with respect for the fellow members.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Well, as yound and stupid i might be, i don't think that respect toward someone is calculated via the years he has been spinning.

Sorry to offend your ears with my vision of truth, but yeah, I think that anyone in the street can spin top 40 and rock the crowd. There is nothing to build, tracks are already known and popular.

EDIT :
    I might be harsh, i know that, but i think that as an adult community, we are able to discuss without hiding how we feel, and say what we want to say (well, kepping in mind to avoid any personnal/racial/etc insult).
    I won't say i love top 40 just so that everyone is happy and the world is painted with pink flowers and smells like chocolate.
    That "hate post" is the result of my thoughts on top 40, that is all.
    Last edited by dope; 11-01-2011 at 06:59 PM.

calm down chaps
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Why i don't like top 40 and top 40 djs ? I'll give you few points :

1) Not my taste

2) Tracks in top 40 are here because that's why they were made. They have been made for money, not music.

3) I like to dig tracks, and provide my audience things that they don't know. You (Top 40 djs) are just looking into charts, and play them from #40 to #1.

4) Following point #3, i would say that playing top 40 is going the easy way.
    Easy ? Why ? Cause the things that you will play are know and liked by your audience before you even start your set.
    No you may not remind me of anything.
    Rule 1 of the internet is do not assume to know about the person you are talking to.

Ive been digging for records a lot longer then you. And i know all about track selection.

Your not talking to some kid so have some respect for a fellow member ok.

And don't tell me skill is needed to play top 40.
    To ALL OF YOU that say "spinning Rihanna, Nirvanna and LFMAO in the same set requires skills". Dudes. Dudes.
    First, sync. Won't debate about this again, but pushing a button is not what i call skill. Or if the tempo difference is too big : break on a break, backspin, or echo freeze.
    Whooooaaa, that's some nice skills !!
    You have no idea about my skill as a DJ. Ive been a professional DJ for decades, my reputation precedes me.

Again, nice attitude. Duly noted.

To conclude, i think we don't see DJing the same way. You think that a DJ hass to please the crowd. True. But you are missing a big part.
    I do think that people want to be taken in a journey, and discover things. With top 40, it as ridiculous as taking them in a journey across they neighbourhood. It's known, pale, soulless (don't know if it's the correct word but you got the point)
    Doing in the depth of youtube or random polish/russian/whatever language you don't know s*** about to dig THE track you were looking for for 2 months (not mentionning people spinning vinyls, digging tracks in dark and dusty shops) and rock the crowd with them is just WAY better.

You see a DJ like a jukebox, i would say that a DJ is more like a travel guide/teacher that brings new things to his audience.
    When have i said that i see a DJ as a Juke Box. WHat planet are you on.

Have you read any of my posts.

Ive been collecting records for decades, ive been in more record shops that you have had hot meals.

I do Top 40 gigs cus i get them and i get paid well for them.

It is possible to DJ at Top 40 nights and also do what you would consider to be real DJing but you are either too young or to bloody minded to realise this.

Your attitude stinks. You know fuck all about the people you are addressing on this forum and yet you make idiotic sweeping statements.

Your talking to me???

For all I know you could be a 17 year old that hasnt learned how to piss in the toilet let alone played to 7,000 people like i did when i Supported MR SCRUFF a few months ago, but i wont make that assumption cus im a grown up

Sorry Jester.

Sorry Dope but you are misinformed to think I called you Dumb & Stupid.
    I respect you as much as the next guy. lets just leave it at that.
    Different folks different strokes.

But your bull at a gate attack aint gona go well with some.

these threads are all meh anyways.

catch you all in the productive threads
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaniac View Post
    than the 1 year I believe you have been spinning.
    WHat really. You have been playing for one year and your trying to school somone that has spent the majority of his life in record shops and has played with some huge artists and done 10s of 1000s of gigs.

Time of experience doesnt always count for much,, your right but its what experience you have and what you have done that counts and believe me your way out of your league here.

BTW- your post isnt harsh... Its pathetic and wrong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast