Always Top 40/Open Format Negativity here - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Why i don't like top 40 and top 40 djs ? I'll give you few points :

1) Not my taste

2) Tracks in top 40 are here because that's why they were made. They have been made for money, not music.

3) I like to dig tracks, and provide my audience things that they don't know. You (Top 40 djs) are just looking into charts, and play them from #40 to #1.
    May I remind you that track selection is the FIRST thing you learn when you want to dj. This step is missing. All your soul is gone, you are just a fucking jukebox.

4) Following point #3, i would say that playing top 40 is going the easy way.
    Easy ? Why ? Cause the things that you will play are know and liked by your audience before you even start your set.

And don't tell me skill is needed to play top 40.
    To ALL OF YOU that say "spinning Rihanna, Nirvanna and LFMAO in the same set requires skills". Dudes. Dudes.
    First, sync. Won't debate about this again, but pushing a button is not what i call skill. Or if the tempo difference is too big : break on a break, backspin, or echo freeze.
    Whooooaaa, that's some nice skills !!

To conclude, i think we don't see DJing the same way. You think that a DJ hass to please the crowd. True. But you are missing a big part.
    I do think that people want to be taken in a journey, and discover things. With top 40, it as ridiculous as taking them in a journey across they neighbourhood. It's known, pale, soulless (don't know if it's the correct word but you got the point)
    Doing in the depth of youtube or random polish/russian/whatever language you don't know s*** about to dig THE track you were looking for for 2 months (not mentionning people spinning vinyls, digging tracks in dark and dusty shops) and rock the crowd with them is just WAY better.

You see a DJ like a jukebox, i would say that a DJ is more like a travel guide/teacher that brings new things to his audience.

PS : all the hate i just wrote does not concerns people like a guy who posted before who play top 40 because they have to.
    My hate is 100% dedicated to people that feel pro when they rock the crown with popular tracks that everyone has heard on the radio.

1) thats fair

2) this is a big generalization. but it IS called Music BUSINESS.

3) I agree, you do have to play the charted songs but DJing is not about being a jukebox and playing songs in succession its about HOW you play them and WHEN you play thenm. You're basically a music phychologist. I could play heaters ALL night and people would dance but if I play LMFAO, followed by Run DMC tricky than drop tempo and play DMX Party up in here and then Lil Jon outta your mind and then Mann Buzzin and then return of the Mac people will go (and have gone many times) insane. Just because all of those songs are 'charted songs' doesnt mean I didnt just take them on a musical journey. EVenthough most of those songs are no more than 8-10yrs old. They had no idea what was next and when EVERY SINGLE SONG is played everyone go's OHH I love this song!! Thats soul right there.

4) I'll level with you, not hard taking a 128 nirvana track into a 129 rihanna track but it goes back up to my point of song selection and WHEN you play the track. Djs are 'song selectors'. We decide when to have you put your hands up and get crazy or when to drop it low and get sexy. In fact, my earlier point about remixes is huge now. playing a top song but a remix of it gives the crowd the sing along ability but it takes them to a place the radio version cant. take that a step farther and play your OWN remix of a song. Thats soul and art right there. I make a lot of my own remixes because everyone has access to everything but if I make my own tracks I have exclusives.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    let alone played to 7,000 people like i did when i Supported MR SCRUFF a few months ago, but i wont make that assumption cus im a grown up
    Did you play Maroon 5?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Lol no i opened up with Gangstar - The ? Remains.

Scruff was behind me nodding along. It was a cool gig, i enjoyed it.

BTW- your post isnt harsh... Its pathetic and wrong.
    I developped my patheticness, can you develop why i'm so wrong ?

Dope but you are misinformed to think I called you Dumb & Stupid.
    You didn't. I call myself like that so no one has to

WHat really. You have been playing for one year and your trying to school somone that has spent the majority of his life in record shops and has played with some huge artists and done 10s of 1000s of gigs.
    He's talking about me.
    I've been spinning seriously for a year now more or less.

Well, i will stick with the top 40 charts and do transition with the mic, do this for 10 years and then come back here, and i will be able to make fun of new djs.
    That's how it works ?
    Disapointed.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Well, i will stick with the top 40 charts and do transition with the mic, do this for 10 years and then come back here, and i will be able to make fun of new djs.
    That's how it works ?
    Disapointed.
    Your still not listening 'nuck nuck'. No-one has said that they do that kind of DJing . You make too many assumptions.

No-one made fun of you. Your the one with the attitude saying that something stinks.

You need to get it into your head that its possible to do different kinds of DJing.

I do Top 40, I do festivals. I do undergound gigs. I promote gigs.
    I do it all.

I feel that you have let your testosterone get the better of you.
    You can dislike whatever you want but you need to be more careful of the assumptions you make about people cus in this case you are way off track.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 11-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.

I'm exagerating. That's what's called "figure of speech" i think (not sure though).

Djs are 'song selectors'.
    When i google images with "song selector" as key words, i get this :
    http://tinyurl.com/68lr7o2
    Jukeboxes. That's what i said, and it's pretty sad.

Banned

Honestly? It's the lack of originality that bores me to death. I know there are "good" DJ's who can really work the floor and those "bad" DJ's who just play the tunes and just get by.

But it honestly has nothing to do with how hard or easy it is. When ever DJ and their mother is playing the same songs it can get really phucking old real quick. I want to hear more original songs in a set and see where the DJ starts and hear how they end.

Radio in the US has more or less killed the club scene I'd say. Instead of people going out and listening to a DJ and hearing how they develop from day one to year one and being part of that growth, they now expect to hear exactly what they want and when they want it and could care less who's behind the decks and the depth of musical knowledge they have.

In my opinion, the DJ's who play Top 40 are just doing it for the money, like Karlos said before. It's just to pay the bills. Simple as that. It goes from being a passion to being a job, and in the end that's never good for the soul.

Tech Mentor

I'm exagerating. That's what's called "figure of speech" i think (not sure though).

When i google images with "song selector" as key words, i get this :
    http://tinyurl.com/68lr7o2
    Jukeboxes. That's what i said, and it's pretty sad.
    Thats really all your replying to. a smart ass comment that was completely disregarding my point. And you cant even have a discussion about differences of points. I agree with whoever said above. Lock this thread.

and OP, I will def hit you up when I go thanks!

some tense in here!

well i mainly play techno/dubstep, but some times i get booked to play top40 nights and i´m totally down with it. i just played one on saturday from 10pm to 6am (that is called hard work ). i love to play it because:

1. i can sing along
    2. the crowd can sing along
    3. i get funny requests
    4. the requesters get funny answers
    5. most of today´s popmusic can´t be taken serious so i love to spin it with my deepest sarcasm
    6. i get good money playing that stuff

btw: CALM DOWN BOYS! IT`S POPMUSIC
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

@bmar222
    No need to lock this thread, i'm stepping down from it. Going on spectator mode.

@Nephew
    Thanks for that post. I'm not alone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast