Always Top 40/Open Format Negativity here - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Guru

That is exactly the type of forum member I am talking about. Your clueless my man. Dope out of curiosity where are you from and how old are you? Maybe it's an age and location thing.

Here's another one, and this is in response to Nephew, there are some great EDM DJ's that will play an incredible set and every song they play you will know. Listen to Roger Sanchez. I posted a while pack a set he played on 4 CD's that was sick, and most folks here could name each song with no problem.

I think it's the very opposite as to what some are saying. Top 40 for what you guys are calling it here in Miami we refer to it as open format is being able to blend genre's and popular tracks of through out decades of music and compose a tight set. Nothing to do with going 1 - 40 like a juke box. I personally get ALOT more out transitioning from Niggaz in Paris to Show me Love and having every girl in the room throw their hands up and start singing, then I ever got out of turning three effects knob on a house set. **note chicks in Miami are smoking hot so maybe thats it. They eat that shit up.

The last thing I play for is the money. When i landed this last residency I went two months with out cashing one of my checks to remind myself it wasn't for the money. It was for the fun. The cash was just an added perk.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I

When i google images with "song selector" as key words, i get this :
    http://tinyurl.com/68lr7o2
    Jukeboxes. That's what i said, and it's pretty sad.
    So you get your knowledge from Google searches. Dubious.
    I think you need to educate yourself in some basic DJ terminology.

Selector is a very important word in DJ culture .

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    In my opinion, the DJ's who play Top 40 are just doing it for the money, like Karlos said before. It's just to pay the bills. Simple as that. It goes from being a passion to being a job, and in the end that's never good for the soul.
    I can understand why you would think that but my soul is satisfied by playing gigs that i enjoy as well as the ones i play for rent.
    My Djing hasnt gone from a passion to being souless. I still have the passion i always had. I still collect records, i still buy music that i only listen to.
    WOuld i be on here all the time if i wasnt passionate about DJing.

I can do both.

Top40 is like my day job and i bet theres a lot of people on here with crappy day jobs.

My day job happens to be a bit of a laugh and is a 5 hour day. Easy.

I guess its hard for people to understand because few people are able to make a living doing both kinds of DJing. At some point most people either give up and go Top40 and lose their soul or just stop Djing altogther. unless they make it big playing whatever genre they play.

Tech Guru

Karlos you're a pimp brother.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Karlos you're a pimp brother.
    I'm just a guy that started playing records when he was a kid and didnt stop.

Tech Guru

Do you guys also think Hip Hop DJ's are soul less?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I'm just a guy that started playing records when he was a kid and didnt stop.
    i agree with haze. your a pimp

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    i agree with haze. your a pimp
    Not so much of a pimp when i DJd with Rusko or when i DJd with Datsik or when i supported Beardyman though.

Tech Guru

I think some of the disconnect could somewhat cultural. Here's an example...in South Florida we have a HUGE Hispanic population - we are the majority down here. A few weeks back I was at a trendy upscale club that plays mostly House, Progressive, Tech, etc. The main DJ is a fairly well known local guy - he's played the main room at Space to give you an idea of what level he's at. My man was dropping tons of great tracks - Dirty South, Hard Rock Sofa, Green Velvet --- then out of no where this guy drops fast playing spanish Salsa track. The crowd loved it. This was as much of a popular Top 40, my parents even know this song track, and the entire place was up and moving. Props to him for being able to think outside of the EDM box and play something his crowd would enjoy a few songs later we were back to another Progressive bomb and the place was shaking. There is NO super secret gem track, there is NO combination of 6 effects and loop recorder that would've had the same effect on the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dude i am an "older DJ"... I play top 40 because it pays for my house/car/holidays/clothes/food.
    bravo to you...

you are playing for the dollars...

may as well be a prostitute...

i'm done with this...i knew it wasn't going to go anywhere...

we can talk about music and our pedigrees on another thread...

i will stack my records and background with ANYONES...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    bravo to you...

you are playing for the dollars...

may as well be a prostitute...
    Ha! Well said!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast