Always Top 40/Open Format Negativity here
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Always Top 40/Open Format Negativity here

Why is there so much push back here for DJ's that play Top 40/open format. Every time someone asks about something not dealing with house, electro, tech, etc. there's always a snide remark.

I tell you I started out playing hip hop. Fell in love with house music and wild times at clubs like Space here in Miami, and now I play open format full time and enjoy it much more than playing strictly a house music set. Maybe you guys associate open format with a wedding DJ?(nothing wrong with that either) Well going from genre to genre seamlessly, especially in a city like miami that is rich and diverse in so many different cultures is fucking art, and those who do it well kill it down here.

I went to Louis at the Gansevoort a while back and Joe Maz from DiscoTech was playing, and his set was one of the best sets I've ever heard (and I've heard a ton of people play down here from Richi Hawtin to Roger Sanchez). In a matter of minutes that dude had us on a musical ride. Awesome night.

Think outside your comfort zone fellas.
    Last edited by haze324; 11-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

Top 40 does not fit my tastes thus I dont like to play it or hear it in a club. If you do more power to you

Tech Guru

top 40 is normally associated with non mixed doing, many of the songs can be mixed, especially the remix's of songs, and the remixes of remixes. However most top 40 djs you see around don't really put any effort into mixing if at all, but most get regular gigs and decent money.

now the man that loves his electro and goes out of his way to find the greatest new underground track, produces his own remixes, spends hours practicing his mixing get hardly any gigs cuz its not mainstream and less nights play that music, promoters will try and get them to play for free (same does happen with top 40), they look at top 40 ppl with jealousy in some ways cuz there getting paid and they are not.

also its a snobbery thing, its like asking for help in a linux or programming forum, ppl just look down on you cuz they think they know something that you don't.

One question for OP are you really passionate about top 40 music

I dont know where you guys live, but there's probably 5 to 1 top 40 mainstream venues here in IL/MO compared to a place that plays EDM. And the MAJORITY of those djs mix just fine

Tech Mentor

I feel like the people who don't like playing top 40 might not understand HOW to play top 40. djing music that is/has been on the radio is all about familiarity for the crowd. For instance. Everyone and their mom has heard the original party rock anthem a bajillion times. but when that song comes on everyone goes nuts because they know it and they get to share it with their friends. Same with older stuff. Every time I play Biggy Hypnotize people lose it eventhough they've heard it before. Same goes with top 40 remixes.

Since people are more accepting of house music, if you play the Ne-Yo Pitbull Give Me Everything but play a remix they will still sing along and dance evnthough its coming out different than what theyve heard. NO different than when Daft Punk remixes their songs when they play live.

Music is so personal and for kids who like the radio pop or hip, playing their songs that they love and cant wait for (or even better dont expect, havent heard in a while, but still love) really gets them going. Sure you don't have to be the most technical Dj to do top 40, but for the ones that ARE, like DJ AM was, you can really make it a special night.

And not to start an argument but I could make a case say you have to be a better crowd reader to play top 40 because you dont know if the crowd wants to hear pop, pop remixes, dirty basslines, old school hip hop, rock, ect ect.

my 2 cents

btw OP, where in Miami do you play I might be visiting Miami soon (im from Orlando).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Why is there so much push back here for DJ's that play Top 40/open format. ......

Think outside your comfort zone fellas.
    Thinking outside of one's comfort zone is always something to strive for... but that doesn't seem to be the case with the majority of the chart topping tunes... seems the only thing in the mind of those artists and their A/R team is $$$.. and that isn't what music is supposed to be about.

That said, I agree that mixing seamlessly between genres is an art that few DJs have mastered.... in any city.

I think perhaps it's different depending on where you live. I never really listened to the radio in the US, but I'm told it's just mostly top 40/gangster rap that gets played. In England, we have radio stations like Radio 1, Radio 1 Xtra, KISS, Rinse, who all play alternative types of music. E.g. Drum & Bass, Dubstep, House, Trance, all on what would be considered to be mainstream radio hours.

But yes, mainstream clubs also do very well here. However, many chains have gone bankrupt and I constantly see new alternative music promoters popping up and doing very well which is great for people like me as I get to see the DJs I very much admire and aspire to have as much skill as. Sign of the times maybe, I don't know...
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post

One question for OP are you really passionate about top 40 music
    I wouldn't say I am "passionate" about top 40 only --- I am passionate about putting on a good night for the crowd and playing a set that goes from all ranges of BPMS from 65 to 135 and every number in between is a skill. I think "mixing" house music at 128 all night is much easier. The crowd is easier to play for too --- they are there to listen to house music. In one night I'll play

Avicci
    Roger Sanchez
    Alex Kenji
    Pitbull
    LMFAO
    2Live Crew
    Biggy
    Kanye
    Jay-Z
    Celia Cruz (salsa spanish music)
    Omega (reggaeton)
    Buju Banton (reggae)
    Beastie Boys
    Guns R Roses
    The Police
    etc.

and construct a smooth set, with clean transitions navigating thru BPM ranges. Those that do it well are awesome. Hell I even dropped a moombahton track on them the other day. However I will say that even though there are MORE places like this to play in Miami --- the really big places play house music --- Space, LIV and now Amnesia.

I just hate to see the negativity towards music or DJ's that play anything that is not house, tech, electro, etc. just cause folks don't like that kind of music.

bmar - hit me up anytime you are thinking about coming to Miami. I play at nice bar in Brickell (downtown area).
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post

I just hate to see the negativity towards music or DJ's that play anything that is not house, tech, electro, etc. just cause folks don't like that kind of music.
    I definintely feel like I'm in a minority mining the reggae/soul/funk/nufunk/ghettofunk breakbeat line of things (and I do smile when people post conversations implying a "big change" in tempo is a couple of bpm over an hour ...)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Subjective opinion:
    Top 40 is not a genre. It is the just the most popular music around at the time. It's the weekly chart show. I prefer to listen to DJ's who are passionate about the music they play, rather than DJ's who play whatever is popular this week.

Nobody says 'top 40' when you ask them what their favourite sort of music is.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 11-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast