X1 and Traktor Scratch question.
    Tech Mentor

Default X1 and Traktor Scratch question.

Hey all. I have Traktor 2 for my S4. I just bought an X1. Will I need to get a new Traktor for it work when I use TTs or CDJs or will my Traktor 2 work.

thanks!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If you're playing regular vinyl and regular audio CD's your Traktor 2 will work, but you'll need a different sound card. If you want to play timecode CD's or records then you'll need Traktor Scratch pro.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

can I ask a stupid question, what exactly is the difference from "regular" turntables and "timecode" turntables. My buddy has some 1210s that I'll be using that I wanted to use with my X1 and traktor. Im assuming that would be time code vinyl...

sorry...Im a controllerist finally getting into vinyl lol

thx

There's no difference in the turntable it's the record that's different. A time code record has a solid signal on it that is translated in the software to play the mp3 so that when you move the record the mp3 moves. That's nopt all, but in a nutshell that's what's important. The two mos prevalent DJ softwares are Native Instruments Traktor and Serato. They both require you to use either a mixer certified by them or one of their sound cards designed to work with their DVS (Digital Vinyl System) system.

If you're just using two turntables you'll need something like the Audio 4 or 6 from NI. You'll connect the sound card through USB to your computer, then run the audio cables from the sound card to your mixer. You'll also have cables going from the TT's to the sound card where it will be receiving the DVS signal and translating it so the computer can see what your doing with the records.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    There's no difference in the turntable it's the record that's different. A time code record has a solid signal on it that is translated in the software to play the mp3 so that when you move the record the mp3 moves. That's nopt all, but in a nutshell that's what's important. The two mos prevalent DJ softwares are Native Instruments Traktor and Serato. They both require you to use either a mixer certified by them or one of their sound cards designed to work with their DVS (Digital Vinyl System) system.

If you're just using two turntables you'll need something like the Audio 4 or 6 from NI. You'll connect the sound card through USB to your computer, then run the audio cables from the sound card to your mixer. You'll also have cables going from the TT's to the sound card where it will be receiving the DVS signal and translating it so the computer can see what your doing with the records.

ok gotchya. thats what I thought I just confused myself. I see all of these DJs with personalized vinyl but Im guessing its 'personalized timecode vinyl'. But ya Ive got an Audio 4 and Traktor Vinyl. I'll just need to get Traktor Scratch. I assume Traktor Pro 2 and Traktor Scratch 2 are pretty similar.

and side question about my X1. I got to mess around with it today and after watching a few tutorials I realized you can't make big 8 bar jumps back, only 1 bar. Is there a way to map it to be able to do that. Im guessing I can map one of my FX as a hi/lo pass filter. cause thats big for me

sorry to be a pain but thanks for all the help photojojo and anyone else in the 'know'. i appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    I assume Traktor Pro 2 and Traktor Scratch 2 are pretty similar.
    Identical, Scratch just has time code support.

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    and side question about my X1. I got to mess around with it today and after watching a few tutorials I realized you can't make big 8 bar jumps back, only 1 bar. Is there a way to map it to be able to do that. Im guessing I can map one of my FX as a hi/lo pass filter. cause thats big for me
    Yes you can find the command in the controller manager in preferences and change the value of the current jump or you can ma a different button to do what you want.
    Chris Jennings FHP