The Revolution Has Begun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default The Revolution Has Begun

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/11...y-end-of-2012/

Ok not really, but another nail in the coffin of physical media (of all kinds really not just music). This story cites the website Side-Line.com which I have read on occasion (they have yet to cite anything other than several people working at major labels). A lot of people have been hinting at this for many years but I would like to see an official statement from any of the major labels but I doubt that will happen until the change does as it will cut into their profits even more so.

I for one am excited as I know this won't mean the death of the CDJ as most DJs burn their own CDs from their digital copies. I more excited that this will help to get controllers more respect as a standard much like how CDJs are considered now. It's happening just very slowly and hopefully the move to Cloud/Streaming/Digital will rush things along.
    Last edited by bartboy; 11-04-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

I'd say it will be like... usbj

Same pioneer cdj wthout the cd drive and usb only or something.

I can't wait!
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Tech Guru

Yeah I saw a video with a Pioneer Hardware designer briefly eluding to a new "USB" style controller that has the hardware built in to handle the MP3's, removing the need for a laptop. I know this isn't a new concept but if anyone can do it right Pioneer can.

I also believe that the Slim Line controllers like the Kontrol X1 will be common more and more common. It's a lot easier to transport them and to mix and match them to suit your needs.

Regardless of how it all pans out I for one think it's an exciting time to be a DJ. The sheer number of possibilities one has is fantastic but also staggering at times.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Guru

yeah cds are ridiculous. who needs em

Tech Mentor

Pioneer is only still around because of Technics failed design for their sldz 1200, problem with a delay in audio and early release with bugs other wise pioneer would have been out of business. Pioneer product feel like cheap plastic Technics are built like a tank, any Technics 1200 turntable will out last a pioneer cdj any day. Pioneer has gotten lazy thinking that cd's aren't going anywhere just like Technics with vinyl and now late in the game has jumped on the controller bandwagon jumping from a sinking ship. I can tell you that Pioneer lays in bed having a hard time going to sleep knowing what comes out next spring from Vestax the vci 400 it eats Pioneer and shits out lego's.

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    Yeah I saw a video with a Pioneer Hardware designer briefly eluding to a new "USB" style controller that has the hardware built in to handle the MP3's, removing the need for a laptop. I know this isn't a new concept but if anyone can do it right Pioneer can.
    I thought they already did this? I mean yeah, they've still got CD-slots but you don't have to use CDs. And I'm intrigued by the whole "hybrid" concept (CD/USB-drive/MIDI/Timecode) that Denon runs with on their topoftheline units.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    yeah cds are ridiculous. who needs em
    Me! I don't want to buy music in a horrible, lossy compressed format that I can never sell if I want to.

I'm not buying that article anyway. It links to another article as its source which makes the same comments, but without citing any source at all.

Album sales in the UK for 2010: -

CD - 98.5 million
    Digital downloads - 21 million

And they're going to ditch CDs next year you say? *scratches chin*

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy
    I more excited that this will help to get controllers more respect as a standard much like how CDJs are considered now.
    I think the problem with that is that there is no standard gear in terms of the way it actually works. With turntables, if you could use one, you could use them all. Same thing with CD decks really. In both cases you could just roll up to a club with a crate of vinyl or a wallet of CDs and you were good to go.

I think it will happen sometime soon, but just not this soon.

I personally don't think the world is ready for it yet. There is still a lot of people out there who rely on CD's and even vinyl and not MP3 downloads.

Me for example, the only time i use MP3's is on my iPod which is rare now a days. Everything else is CD or vinyl. There will be thousands of other people like me.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

CD has at least 2-3 more years left.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The article says "The Major Labels" then goes onto say that EMI Sony and Universal refuse to comment so, who are "The major labels" that have said they wont be making CDs.

We will still be talking about this in 5 or maybe 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast