The Live DJ versus the Studio DJ
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default The Live DJ versus the Studio DJ

So I have finally taken the plunge a couple weeks ago and got the Knotrol S2. I've made a couple mixes, and I'm somewhat satisfied with some my my results, however I am in the middle of debating with myself on which method is really the better fit for me.

On the one hand is the Live DJ set. While the S2 is not a pair of SL1200's, it does give a lot of scratch control over the set. Of course with me being over 12 years rusty in any real DJ gig (and really 15+ years touching vinyl) I get a little disappointed at where I am getting back into a grove. Also being a father with a wife and two kids, time will always be limited to what I can devote to the craft.

On the other hand is the Studio DJ style. I could make some very very tight mixes, and given that I don't have as much time as I want to put into it, I can simply pick up where I left off and only publish a highly polished mix. However it seems less organic, less visceral than being behind a deck and judging the next song in the set withing a short period of time.

Has anyone dealt with this similar dilemma? What choices did you end up making?

Tech Guru

It's all for the fun, right? Do whatever gives you more pleasure at the end of the day?

Cannot really answer because its up to you at the end of the day but thought I would throw in a couple things to ponder.

With a family, studio is better. You can set a schedule that works around your other responsibilities.

There is a time and place for both IMO.

I much prefer listening to a live set though, where I know someone was mixing on the fly, rather than a studio mixdown where someone tweaked things to make them perfect.

The imperfections sometimes give it that realism and character that I really love.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I don't understand the question...

Doesn't one lead to another?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I usually end up recording a live set from Traktor into Ableton, and fixing things up afterwards. I try to keep sets at exactly one hour, so I may need to cut out a few parts, trim it down, or tweak the bass, etc.

It depends on how you're offering the set, people will understand any sort of mistakes if you advertise it as a "Live Mix", but if you're calling it something else like, "GIRL POWER! Workout Mix Vol.01", people are going to expect perfection. If that makes sense. (And yes, I do have a mix called that, hahaha.)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by HighTopFade View Post
    With a family, studio is better. You can set a schedule that works around your other responsibilities.
    Quite true. The past couple weeks I have been family free since they are visiting relatives. But soon they will be back and I can imagine my time will be far less available.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I don't understand the question...

Doesn't one lead to another?
    The question was along the lines of a studio dj that has switched to live, or live dj that has switched to studio, reasoning behind them, pros, cons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I usually end up recording a live set from Traktor into Ableton, and fixing things up afterwards. I try to keep sets at exactly one hour, so I may need to cut out a few parts, trim it down, or tweak the bass, etc.

It depends on how you're offering the set, people will understand any sort of mistakes if you advertise it as a "Live Mix", but if you're calling it something else like, "GIRL POWER! Workout Mix Vol.01", people are going to expect perfection. If that makes sense. (And yes, I do have a mix called that, hahaha.)
    That would be one way to do it (using both). Right now I have not done any post-editing of a live mix yet. I had been thinking more of a choice between Ableton Live (non Intro) v. S2+TP2 since price wise they are similar. I got the S2, and if anything I have been highly critical of my mixes so far. A miscue here, a total screw-up there (in one mix I was 55 minutes into it when I accidentally loaded a track into my playing deck. Granted it's been ages since I have done this, but I do demand perfection from myself.

No offence but what are a purpose of "studio mixes".

Seems way less fun than "live mix" and you can't use them for demos etc.
    If you guys do that sometimes, why ?
    (i repeat, no offence intended i'm just curious)

i usually play or listen to tracks daily...in a few days time i have i them sorted in my head...and then put them together in a mix that i try and polish...DJing is like golf and baseball...there aren't too many, if any, "perfect games"...

name me a Studio DJ that is good at what they do...they would have to be well versed in club life to put together a good mix...

I still don't understand what you are asking...

(not being a dick...just trying to figure out why you are processing this thought)...(really)...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

make your recordings tight as a nuns bum, then rock the fuck out when playing live.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast