TouchOSC ipad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TouchOSC ipad

Tech Mentor

Default TouchOSC ipad

My little brother (23yr old) just had is birthday. Long story short he felt a little missed out on my sale of my vci300. saying stuff like "i could have had it for my birthday present (off his girlfriend mind)" and going on about wanting to take up dj'ing. Well the idea first off was to buy a vci 100 off someone one here and throw that his way just from myself. But after speaking to parents and acquisition of £75 from said parents towards the pressent. i managed to get an Ipad for less than £200. I myself live about 2 hours drive from my family haven't managed to hand it over but in mean time i've been able to set it up with touchOSC using a £6 template from touch-control.com. I've got to say for fucking with just 4 tracks for and entire hour. I did really well. I don't know if i'd trust a set live out on it. But i might try and record one before he gets his hands on it. I'm defiantly going to get myself the same in about 3 weeks i believe. But for a total of £214 it's rocks no ends and i've just spent a few hours on it mind. Big suggest for everyone to buy a 16gb 1st gen wifi ipad end of
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

I tried to use the family's iPad 2 to use samples decks in traktor.
    Custom layout, with just 8 samples decks, and volume/filter knob for each one.
    I had some issues having it working but after the mapping and all that stuff on OSCulator, it was fun.

But, i dropped it after 1 or 2 days. Why's that ? Well having a wireless device that controls traktor is load of fun, but i mean all that configuration work, WiFi from the MBP, OSCulator runned and with the correct template, having to care about the battery left before leaving for a gig, etc, i didn't like it.

Maybe (propably) i sucked at making it work properly, sometimes it just didn't work i don't know why, but this was too much trouble for, in my case, simple samples decks. And when you have to rush in the booth to setup ASAP, you don't have time for in/out ports on OSCulator, activating Wi-Fi from your MBP, connecting to it with the iPad and so on.

That's why I bought an AKAI LPD8, plug in and the job's done

But i agree that iPhones/iPads with TouchOSC have a scary potential, even though imo there is a small delay between touching and the action in Traktor, and a tactile screen will never be as good as real knobs/faders.

Tech Mentor

I agree with everything you've just said. for progressive or techno sets i could so live just the pad. With quantized on it all sound as it should completely getting around the delay between OSC signals and midi signals. I played with the 42" touch panels @BPM the other week and liked it. but at these cost's i really can't see the harm. I haven't tried it in Live yet also. I didn't see any problems with my i7 MBP but i know others use less spec i guess. I think if you used a MIFI you could get around the problem of setting up in clubs
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

I think if you used a MIFI you could get around the problem of setting up in clubs
    MIFI stands for Midi Fighter ? What's wrong with that it's just plug and play right ?

Tech Mentor

no a MIFI is 3g dongle that makes a wifi signal. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi"]MiFi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Or you could just create an Ad-Hoc connection (your lappy being the host), this is way more reliable than using the local connection and it will help reduce the latency (since both devices are a few centimeters away. You could also drop OSCulator if you are working with a MIDI layout (TouchOSC now supports this)

I was working on an "all-in-one" full MIDI layout a few weeks ago but I don't have the time much time to dedicate to the project at the moment.

Tech Mentor

it's the first night i've really ever played with it. I've had an Iphone and ipod touch's for years but the size and power up till now have been the reason i haven't gone past the point of playing with it for 2 mins then dismissing it due to the limitations. Like i said in the post, it's for my brother for his birthday so I could do with having it as robust as possible for him. By any chances you don't have a link in the direction of the current work in touchOSC then please padi_04?

Mac/PC?

Tech Mentor

he's on pc but i'd be interested in the mac for myself if you dont mind. sorry and thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast