Probably not the right place for this but...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Probably not the right place for this but...

G'day DJTT as most of us on here are I'm a controlerist. I've just got myself an APC20 and love playing on traktor with it. but... I watched the discussion posted a while ago at the ADE convention (Amsterdam dance expo or something) and one of the comments I heard was something along the lines of "DJ's need to know their roots", I fully believe this and have decided to get myself a crappy as hell mac book air and a audio 6 a real basic (but high quality) mixer and two technics.
    So basically the MBA will be used as a track library only as I dont feel the need to carry around vinyl but I'd like to collect a little for fun.
    But what I'm wondering is what is a really great 2 channel mixer. I looked at a Ecler Hak 360 but I'm thinking a NUO 2 would be sweet but I'm wondering if I can upgrade the crossfader in the nuo 2 as I believe learning to scratch would be awesome. if you guys know of a different mixer thats very bare bones basic as all I feel I want is EQ's and level faders and a buttery smooth Xfader. thanks guys for any input.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

"Need to know your roots"

My arse!

If you can rock a crowd, to me it doesn't matter how you do it, do it with what your comfortable with and your good with

at the end of the day it's about the music, if you can blend it better with an APC20 then 2 turntables then so be it.
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

I started out a long time ago on a pair of 1200's and a banged up numark 2002x (note current gen midi mixers: even that had bloody kill switches) and I personally believe the ADE discussion was complete wank.

You shouldn't need to know how to beatmatch two records just so you can use an apc20. You should probably know how to beatgrid properly, know when your basslines are phasing, and know which way to nudge your tracks and when, all of which you can do on software alone as practice.

pro tip: The only thing you need to worry about is to not sound generic or like shit.

Tech Mentor

Just look for anything that is 2 channel + innofader compatible?

A lot of vestax stuff comes to mind? Xone 22? Ecler's as you already pointed out...
    I'd prob just choose something with 2 channels and innofader compatibility.

The innofader is an expensive toy (albeit a cool one). If you are serious about scratching, get a good scratch mixer. It takes time to learn to scratch, so if you pick up a basic 2 channel mixer, by the time you can scratch well enough to want to spend the extra$$$ on an innofader, youmay have grown out of your mixer.
    If the mixer you get is innofader compatible, bonus. If not, don't base your mixer choice on a aftermarket x fader.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Find a deal on a used Rane TTM-56.

I was in a similar boat looking for a mixer. I realized that I honestly only needed 2 channels, and wanted something with adjustable curves on the faders.

The TTM-56 is a great mixer, I honestly love mine. It's a Rane, that pretty much says it all.

I looked at the DDM4000 and some offerings by Vestax, but nothing really spoke to me.

I've seen TTM-56's go from $250-$400 on craigslist. It's not all the time though, but there are deals worth jumping on.
    Last edited by Bassline Brine; 11-05-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

So do you think something like a eclair hak 360 or 380 or some sort of rane mixer
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

As for the whole "gotta know your roots" thing, I'll try and settle it. It's not about knowing stuff just for the sake of knowing it, its so you will to be able to play on pretty much any equipment.
    If the club only have CDJs, and you come along thinking there's room in the booth for an APC, boy are you in for a suprise...
    And there's a reason most of us, even controllerists, still prefer turntables.

Tech Mentor

For those of you knocking the "knowing your roots", get off of it! That high horse of yours, that is. If you aren't able to play on turntables or CDJs what happens if your laptop burns out in the middle of the gig? What if the CDJ shits out and there's only two turntables that can fill in? What do you do THEN?

I can't play on turntables yet but I sure as hell want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    If you aren't able to play on turntables or CDJs what happens if your laptop burns out in the middle of the gig?
    Sorry, I missed the part where he said he was out gigging or looking for gigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast