What kind of turntable?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What kind of turntable?

Hi,
    I've got a decent setup with a Macbook Pro, Traktor Kontrol S4 and 2x KRK Rokit 8s/ 2x Behringer B1520DSP
    I want to add a turntable for timecode and i was looking at the Stanton T.55 USB Belt Driven, i did some research and found out that direct drive is overall better (?).
    What would you guys suggest i do ?
    Please share your experiences

Thanks
    Last edited by Firex; 11-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    MacBook Pro, Traktor Kontrol S4, 2x Pioneer CDJ 850 K, 2x KRK Rokit 8, 2x Behringer B1520DSP

Soundcloud

Anything from Numark's TT500 and up is decent IMO. My personal favourites are Stanton ST.150/STR8-150, but a Technics 1200, Numark TTX (the newer ones), Vestax PDX, or any of the "super OEM" turntables would be fine.

Belt drives aren't great for DJing because of the lack of torque, so when you cue up the record and let it go, the lack of pulling power can lead to the record slurring as it takes a short while for the platter to reach the desired speed. You end up compensating for that by pushing the record into the mix, which isn't a good habit to pick up. Direct drive turntables with decent enough torque won't give you that problem, so then the choice comes down to build quality, performance and features. I favour the STR8-150s because they have a good combination of torque (loads of it in fact, haha), features and build quality.

Thanks for the reply

I'm also looking for stuff in the price range of the Stanton T.55
    And i'm not sure how to connect, let's say the T55 to my macbook, would it be plugged into the S4 or directly into the mbp ?
    Last edited by Firex; 11-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    MacBook Pro, Traktor Kontrol S4, 2x Pioneer CDJ 850 K, 2x KRK Rokit 8, 2x Behringer B1520DSP

Soundcloud

How much is the T.55 where you are? Here in the UK they're about £150-£180, so you could get a decent second hand deck off eBay for that price. The last couple of STR8-150s (single decks) that sold on eBay went for around the £100-£110 mark which is a bargain - I'm not saying you should definitely go for one of those just cos I use them BTW, haha. That's just an example of pricing.

You would hook the deck up to your S4. There's some videos on YouTube that show you how to hook it up.

Plug it into the Line/phono ports on the back of the S4.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

The T55 is €199 where i am, but how would timecode go when you just connect it to the S4 ?

Soundcloud

Would you guys suggest new gear or second hand Technics 1200s ?

I think that the Reloop RP 4000 or the Stanton ST-150 are pretty decent.
    I was looking at some second hand Technics 1200s and found some pretty decent ones.

What would you guys do ?

Soundcloud

2nd hand technics every day of the week.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

the answer doesn't change and will always be second hand technics, you can get them a lot cheaper than a pair of new high end TTs like stanton 150s. You can find a pair of technics for the price of one 150.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast