Question about renting commercial space.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about renting commercial space.

Hey all,

I was wondering if it would be possible to just rent vacant commercial space for about a week/a few days at a time, to have parties in.

Event security is no problem at all, but I'm concerned about insurance, for example, fires/breaking windows, etc.. if that happens, am I screwed? Should I have a lot of security so nothing happens, and opt out of insurance?

One lot I have in mind is an old bowling alley, would be fitted out with a sound system, lights, fog, lazers, the works.. Bar might be opened, serving non alcoholic beverages. Keep in mind this is a non-permanent thing, so i can throw a rave with an underground feel on the cheap

The only places I can think of is warehouses and stuff. But the bowling alley is decked out already with a bar area, bathrooms, lots of space (I could also do multiple "rooms" 1 for partying 1 for chilling) neon, and I could replace the light bulb fittings with blacklights, etc.

Anyone here have experience with this type of thing? Any advice about getting short term rent (as thats my main concern)
    Thanks!

Tech Mentor

p.s. I could actually rent space in a venue, but I want to do my own thing kindof..

Tech Mentor

buuuuuuuuuuump.

please respond.

A lot of what you are asking depends on local laws.
    With regards to insurance, again depending on local laws, if you have business liability insurance (every actively gigging DJ should), it should cover the venue. You just need an "additionally insured" rider prior to the event.

All other stuff with regards to zoning, beverages, permits etc. is going to based on local laws. Trying to get advice on the internet where the audience is from different locales is can be costly for you. I would suggest contact local governmental office to see what permits and requirements are for your area.

^this
    DJTT may not be the place to ask this, considering if you follow what we say and get busted, you can't get DJTT in jail. Call your cityhall, they will have more/better advice for you
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

im not really able to offer much help, but i can say that contacting city hall may not be the best idea, do you have a lawyer? find one to consult with would be my advice.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

As far as insurance you could check here https://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&...vent+insurance
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

It depends on the commercial space you are renting. how many people does the building/space legally permit? You'll need permits too. I know in certain cities like NY, you need a cabaret permit/license. Some municipalities will not allow this type of thing either simply due to the fact that they are not interested in the risk a cut and run business brings with it. I'm not saying you are, but put yourself in the cities AND building owners shoes...
    Here's some guy who wants to rent VERY short term, do his thing and take off. He won't be putting down any roots, so comes in with no motivation to keep things on the up and up and be responsible. Perfect opportunity for a bad situation to arise.
    Not all things will be all doom and gloom though. You could have lax municipal laws, and the owner could possibly give two shits what you do. Best advice anyone can give you is to make sure you have rock solid contracts signed with the venue owner. This prevents him from deciding to come in during a show, change his mind on what your doing, and shut everything down on the spot. The other part is to check into your local laws. Go down to city hall, find out about what permits you'll need, if any, and get that taken care of.
    The worst thing you can do is spend your hard earned money on presenting a night, and only have it, along with your reputation, taken away due to a lack of diligence on your own part.

Tech Mentor

alright, thanks guys,

i wasnt really concerned about information about where i lived, just some advice in general about where to get started, and i got it.

Tech Wizard

Good luck! Trying to get proper zoning for anything like that in a warehouse or other commercial space is tough in a year for permanent usage. City code would require insurance to be filed, inspections for safety, and a bunch of other nuances. The cost would be far above what you could afford without a business loan. Getting one of those would require a business model and proper filings as a business. Insurance also requires you to be a business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast