Starting all over.. what would you do?
    Tech Convert

Default Starting all over.. what would you do?

I've moved to Japan for the time being
    I want to get back into the clubs and try setup something in my apartment.
    I'll be only here for 2 years at the most and currently on a small budget.

Scenario:
    I don't have 1200s here but I can get them for cheap. This would mean I would have to get an interface and I'll be leaning towards Serato. Then I would have to think about needles as well...

On the other hand, I'm thinking about the vci 100 and maybe traktor.

I've got
    15' macbook pro
    Akai MPD26
    Ableton Live lite

What would you do?

Tech Mentor

i'd really go for the controller. the 1200's are legendary needles don't have to be expensive at first IMO. but the controller allows you guarantee you play out i guess. as not all clubs/bars have decks anymore and if your not comfortable on what you have to play on it generally doesn't go all to well for most.The controller gets rid of this problem straight away. and you could add the 1200's later on. Also selling the controller i'm guessing would be easier.
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by LeeZer View Post
    i'd really go for the controller. the 1200's are legendary needles don't have to be expensive at first IMO. but the controller allows you guarantee you play out i guess. as not all clubs/bars have decks anymore and if your not comfortable on what you have to play on it generally doesn't go all to well for most.The controller gets rid of this problem straight away. and you could add the 1200's later on. Also selling the controller i'm guessing would be easier.
    thanks for the reply.
    1200s will take up a lot of room anyway... and then i'll need a mixer or something.
    i just need to get a demo of traktor and play around with it

If you like serato, the xone:dx is apparently really cheap now (~500USD) and really cool for that price. It won't use time code with Itch, but it's simple, powerful, and relatively cheap. But it doesn't scratch well…don't know if that maters to you. Vestax is made in Japan, so the VCI-300 is probably an option as well, since I imagine it'd be cheaper domestically.

Personally, if I were starting all over, what I'd buy would depend entirely on my budget. But, I'd probably end up with what I have, just a different mixer…and I'd add tables because I really want to spin hip hop at some point, and IMHO you just can't do it justice with controllers.

If I were doing it again I wouldn't have bought the audio 4 dj a week before traktor scratch duo went half price in the clearance sale! ARGH!
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    If you like serato, the xone:dx is apparently really cheap now (~500USD) and really cool for that price. It won't use time code with Itch, but it's simple, powerful, and relatively cheap. But it doesn't scratch well…don't know if that maters to you. Vestax is made in Japan, so the VCI-300 is probably an option as well, since I imagine it'd be cheaper domestically.

Personally, if I were starting all over, what I'd buy would depend entirely on my budget. But, I'd probably end up with what I have, just a different mixer…and I'd add tables because I really want to spin hip hop at some point, and IMHO you just can't do it justice with controllers.
    i'd love to spin hip hop but i'm trying to get mobile as i can. i can probably spin on the vci-300 and it feels good. it costs about 48,000 yen here (retails at 74,800). maybe about 520USD (930USD rrp)

1200s are about 35,000 yen here in most places. about 420USD. i don't think that's reasonable enough.. also I'd probably have to get needles and shiz

vci-300 and traktor would make for a decent combo.

audio 2 or audio 6?

Controllers? Audio 2. Timecode? Audio 6.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Controllers? Audio 2. Timecode? Audio 6.
    is audio 4 an option here?
    i have an mpd26 and combining it with the vci-300s

The Audio 4 isn't in production so it'd be hard to find. It's be perfectly suited to timecode but there's no reason to pick it over an audio 2 if you're using controllers. The inputs on the 4, 6, 8 & 10 are completely pointless unless you are using timecode.