Damnit are kids lame.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Damnit are kids lame.

So as a few of you are aware I had my first paid gig last firday and I loved it more than anything. So I decided to play a couple parties or shows for free as long as they (the Client or what ever) cover the cost of speakers. I rent out a pair of 15" speakers for $150 a night so thats where that figure came from. heres the two responses I've had so far.

"Bro bit too much bro."
    and
    I can get free shit and he has been dj for over 5 years I wouldn't pay $150 for a night just saying :/"

Now I would play parties for free if I had speakers but I'm not going to pay to play. Is $150 too much to ask for. cause the gig I played they covered the cost of speakers and gave me $100. Is what I'm asking stupid or something cause thats the way they're replies come across. fucking kids
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by wongaling View Post
    fucking kids
    you don't charge them for your service. now they wanna figure out how much they can nickel and dime you... you're surprised

why you rent speakers for $150 as a dj if you are not the event organizer, location owner or some other person who benefits from the entry fee and bar earnings?

i wouldn't do that.

if the event organizer has no proper PA-System, its his problem not the dj's one

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    you don't charge them for your service. now they wanna figure out how much they can nickel and dime you... you're surprised
    pretty much this!

get the balance between "don't do stuff for free for people which don't do something for you" and "get your way into the scene where no one depends on you because there are enough upcoming newcomer djs without a name aviable which do everything for free" AND kept motivated is a really hard thing in the beginning

especially when you are compete against do-everything-for-free-dj's which don't deliver your level of quality and it doesn't care anyone ;o)
    Last edited by racoon; 11-08-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Tech Mentor

@rgtb
    I don't understand I thought it'd be a real sweet way to get a out there a bit and show my face around

Tech Mentor

I think I'll just try get my hands on some cheap speakers and tell them to bugger off when they come crawling to me cause I'm rocking my town. (I promise I will).

Tech Mentor

there is a careful balance to strike because of what racoon said. there is plenty supply of newcomer djs.

they might just try to eff you over in every way they can. first it's free drinks for you and your pal(s), then it's free drinks just for you, then it's 3 free drinks per night, ...

Tech Mentor

@rgtb ah ok, I get that. I'm meant to be playing a formal after party with a mate some time soon which will hopefully get me out there. I'm not receiving payment for it but I didn't offer to play for free and my mate is bringing mackie thumps

my strategy-advice for a newcomer is:

step1: make everything for free but don't invest too much MONEY into your HOBBY which doesn't reward MONEY back ~ BUT ~ you will collect dancefloor-experience.

step2: if you have dancefloor-experience collected, this will rise your value.

step3: start to don't make everything for free, offer the event manager the choice that you play mp3's for free or play a lossless WAV set for some money which you can invest in more music

step4: you have made yourself more valueable with collected dancefloor experience and invested money in perfect-quality music

from there you can start to give a shit on asshole-event-organizers and regain some free-time which is usually low in the time when you are every weekend on some gigs to collect experience.

with this free time you can regain your fun at djing which got lost at the "hard work every weekend" and record some really good promo-mixes at home while you are not at the club playing for free

thats the point where i am at the moment ^^
    (and with the free time i started to learn how to produce my own sound and build up livesets, record some promo-mixes at home and play once a month on some event which i really like to perform at ;D)
    Last edited by racoon; 11-08-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Tech Mentor

thanks guys for you're help gotta love DJTT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast