Non "replaceable" fader in Kontrol S4 may mean we part company - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    That is A) amazing B) well out of my price range!

I want a 4 CH Scratch mixer so I can use CH1-2 with a controller and CH3-4 with Timecode.
    Ahh you want a 4 channel. I'm selling my S4 as well, and getting a DJM 909.

Denon dn x 1600, then you also get the traktor scracth certified soundcard.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    Denon dn x 1600, then you also get the traktor scracth certified soundcard.
    Beat me to it! I agree, and the crossfader on that mixer (in my opinion) feels 100x better than the S4 crossfader

My understanding of guitar center's warranty is that it's not a warranty but an insurance policy on the gear…at least, that's what they told us when I worked there and they were trying to convince us to sell them.

IIRC, it doesn't matter if you open it up and mod it…the GC Pro Coverage still applies, even if you provably cause the damage that you want to get it replaced for. The only catch is that when it gets repaired/replaced, you have to buy a new pro coverage contract when you take delivery of the repaired unit or the replacement.

Please actually call the company that underwrites it and correct me if I'm wrong about that, as I've never done it myself and wouldn't want you to be out a $900 controller because I didn't remember things correctly (or because they'd changed).

I have Pro Coverage on a decent bit of my gear, but it's never come up. The one thing that I didn't get PC on–a guitar amp–has been rebuilt twice and stopped making noise again this summer. Seriously, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeZer View Post
    i wouldn't worry about the warranty and just the fader. If your considering changing the fader i'm guessing your strapped for cash. If the controller breaks in a year or two. either fix it or buy a new one.
    i don't think throwing a thousand dollars at the problem is the correct answer...

seeing as how the controller is pretty new we have no idea of the reliability of it...i am sure it's a quality build coming from NI...i say stick with it and replace the cross fader as/if needed...hopefully the controller out lives it's warranty...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    So I sell the S4. Now i have to buy a mixer, audio interface and controller like the X1. Let's say I get $750 for it - what do I buy?
    DNX-1600. No soundcard needed and it's got enough dedicated midi buttons and encoders on it for basic transport and sample decks to hold you over. I have a feeling there's going to be more than a few used X1's pop up for sale when the Xone K2's come out. In fact if you like I'll put your name on one of mine to reserve it when the time comes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    My understanding of guitar center's warranty is that it's not a warranty but an insurance policy on the gear…at least, that's what they told us when I worked there and they were trying to convince us to sell them.

IIRC, it doesn't matter if you open it up and mod it…the GC Pro Coverage still applies, even if you provably cause the damage that you want to get it replaced for. The only catch is that when it gets repaired/replaced, you have to buy a new pro coverage contract when you take delivery of the repaired unit or the replacement.
    I think you may be correct. I think it may end up being easier after the first year given that NI are totally out of the picture. Had it not been for the dodgy RCA jack on the back on my S4 I would be a lot more confident in just doing it. I am going to get a proper copy of the policy and have a read. The woman I spoke with on the GC Pro Coverage Line was not helpful at all. I was trying to get an understanding of how the coverage worked and how long I could possibly be without my S4 and all she wanted to do was bang through the claim. I ended up telling her to forget it. I will have another bash.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Yeah…calling people like that always yields weird responses in my experience.

The few times I've had things replaced, it's always easier to just go to a GC. But, well, I've only had LiveWire cables replaced under their normal lifetime warranty.

BTW, LiveWire cables aren't good enough for use in a recording studio, but for live applications and especially for bedroom applications, they're golden. Something breaks, you bring it into GC and they give you a new one no questions asked. They also cost the store like 25% of the sticker price because GC manufactures them, but still…it's a lot easier than breaking out a soldering iron unless you need it fixed right then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12