Need Help Deciding Midi!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need Help Deciding Midi!

Hey guys,

Anyways I wanted to get started with DJ'ing and just writing my own music. Anyways, I've come down to three choices of midi keyboards. I only want a 25 key, portable (Occasional drag from school to home and vice versa) and is pretty good.

I've come down to the
    Korg NanoKey2
    M-Audio Axiom 25
    Akai MPK 25

If you can, please rate the keyboards and if possible, please suggest which one I should go with and why?

Tech Mentor

How about an m-audio oxegen? There cheep and have 8 rotaries that you can assign. There is also a sweet djtt mapping for use with traktor. It'd be able to do both and you can pick them up off ebay for under £40. Much better build quality than any of the mico controlers and a hell of allot cheeper than the mpk so you wont have to worry about smashing it up
    Macbook, S4, Novation Launchpad, Korg nanoKontrol, TSP2, Ableton 8.

Tech Wizard

What's the difference between the oxygen and axiom series? I'm looking for a midi controller that has keys, a few rotaries, octave up and down, modulators, faders, appregiators and at leasy 6 drum pads.

So please help me decide.

Korg nanokey2 , axiom 25 and akai mpk mini.
    What's the difference between the axiom 25.v1 and v2?

Tech Mentor

Oxygen doesn't have pads. :/
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Follow my Mod Projects and More on Facebook and Youtube

Tech Wizard

Any suggestions though? Id really like the pads.. only reason why I'm including nanokey2 is because of its portability

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oq1G-IUNfg

That should give you a good idea og what you might need.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Honestly, think about being modular with your setup.

Get a keyboard to be a keyboard, a thing for drum pads to be that thing, and then get something with buttons/faders/knobs for doing that, at least from a production standpoint IMO.

While I can appreciate the all-in-ones I feel like something is lacking in one aspect or another from all of them.

Unless size is the big issue, but even then.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Honestly, think about being modular with your setup.

Get a keyboard to be a keyboard, a thing for drum pads to be that thing, and then get something with buttons/faders/knobs for doing that, at least from a production standpoint IMO.

While I can appreciate the all-in-ones I feel like something is lacking in one aspect or another from all of them.

Unless size is the big issue, but even then.
    Agreed. Definitely from a production standpoint, and even still, for DJing. From my experience, all-in-one units are lacking in at least one department (usually the pads). I'd suggest spending a little more just to get a dedicated pad controller (if that's definitely something you would like), a keyboard with a small set of knobs or encoders (oxygen 25 has worked phenomenally for me, both DJing and producing), and then something simple for faders and more knobs/encoders (similar a nanokontrol, but probably a little more robust if you're going to be travelling with it at all).
    17" MBP, TP2, X1, MF Classic (soon to be custom), Custom VCI-100, Oxygen 25, Guitar Hero Guitar (inspired by DJTT!), MBox 3 (overkill, but swapping to Audio2)

Tech Wizard

In that case, I don't think I'll be using faders alot.

I'm looking for a keyboard with the octaves, modulations, arpregiators.
    And a controller for dedicated pads.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by uanaka View Post
    In that case, I don't think I'll be using faders alot.

I'm looking for a keyboard with the octaves, modulations, arpregiators.
    And a controller for dedicated pads.
    Arpeggiators are not something you'll find in the MIDI controller world. Pretty sure you'd be looking into a workstation for that, or software controls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast