OHM 64 vs. Akai Apc40/80
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default OHM 64 vs. Akai Apc40/80

Whats up guys, I have gotten into mashup djing and producing a lot, and i want to get into starting to playing and improvising them live. However I am not sure what the best tool would be. I have a launchpad right now and do not use it cause i dont really like it. It does not allow me to transition fast enough. I am looking into modding an apc 40 to an 80 but then i thought about the Livid OHM 64. Anyone have any input and what they would do in my situation. Thanks.

OHM 64 !

I have both a ohm 64 and a apc 20. the functionality is equal between the two pieces, but the build quality and the feeling of the ohm is something completly different.

I believe the only metal part of the APCs is the back plate. The OHM64 comes in aluminum and wood, very sturdy. I'd get the OHM64 if money isn't a concern.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't understand why anyone would want the OHM 64 other than for aesthetic purposes. sure, it's sexy as all hell, as far as controllers go, but it doesn't seem to be as suited to ableton as the APC 40 is. the layout of the APC 40 is significantly more intuitive and clearly laid out. Furthermore, the APC40 has plugs for footswitches, and the OHM 64 does not, though it does have MIDI plugs. Just the cost-effectiveness makes it seem unreasonable to go for the OHM64 when the APC40 does the same, if not more for cheaper, and arguably, more effectively.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ajrindy View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want the OHM 64 other than for aesthetic purposes. sure, it's sexy as all hell, as far as controllers go, but it doesn't seem to be as suited to ableton as the APC 40 is. the layout of the APC 40 is significantly more intuitive and clearly laid out. Furthermore, the APC40 has plugs for footswitches, and the OHM 64 does not, though it does have MIDI plugs. Just the cost-effectiveness makes it seem unreasonable to go for the OHM64 when the APC40 does the same, if not more for cheaper, and arguably, more effectively.
    Build quality
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Build quality is fine on the APC. Sure it's plastic and stuff but it's solid and if you aren't tossing it around it'll last fine. The layout and the automapping is perfect for Ableton. Ohm build quality is a lot nicer but it seems to me the deciding factor here is the coolness factor. Not just that it looks cool but that you can (and pretty much need to) totally customize it for your personal workflow. It will take a lot longer to get up and running on it but that will be your instrument, whereas the APC is just the most efficient way to use the program. Go for the Ohm if you have money *and time*; I'm sure it's more rewarding in the end, but go for the APC if you want something that will get out of your way and let you play now.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

I went with the APC 40. I figured that the build quality isnt worth an extra $400. I do agree with you that it is one of the sexiest controllers out there, but in the dark all i can see is the light anyways. I like that the apc is already integrated even though i will probably remap all the faders and knobs. I also like the fact that I can potentially make it into an APC 80 if need be. The 40 is super portable and honestly i think it looks pretty sleek. I will probably spray it up anyways. Come friday, I will let you guys know the review. Anything is better than my launchpad i think. I also talked to like 3LAU who is a mashup artist who i knew had both and he said that the OHM just wasnt worth it. Thank you for the input and i will let you guys know what i think compared to my launchpad friday.

Tech Guru

You don't need to worry about build quality when you can buy 3 apc40s before you add up to the ohm...Im gonna get an APC40 and honestly I will not baby it when you can find them for $200 a piece.

I have the APC80.

It worth every penny. NO bugs....EVERYTHING works. Build Quality is great....does not feel wonky AT all.

Never seen the OHM in real life....but I would go with the APC.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADJ? View Post
    I like that the apc is already integrated even though i will probably remap all the faders and knobs.
    I thought the guys at Livid Instruments made MIDI remote scripts for all of their controllers. o:
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast