Club Bookings FAQ

Default Club Bookings FAQ

So I'm starting to look at approaching clubs / bars for bookings but figured I'd stop in here for tips first. Most if not all of my gigs come from inquiries directly to me (I mostly work at college events / concert formatted) but I want to start branching out into weekend side jobs.

I have the social media pages, the resume, but I just want to know how you guys who work consistently in clubs started in or look for new venues.

What's the easiest way to get in touch with the people that matter at a specific location?

How do you pass along your press and talk yourself up?

What do you charge per set?

Thanks for the help guys.

p.s. I'm looking in the Chicagoland area if anyone has specific advice

best way for me is to go over my contact-network.

so if you know which promoter/booking agent is doing the bookings for the club than is knowing someone that has already his trust which can recommend you is not the wrongest move ;o)

otherwise you have to build up trust with the unknown persons that also don't know you, which is not the easiest i think.

as i can say so far: network > all (incl. skill, experience ... whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by deejaytrademark View Post
    What's the easiest way to get in touch with the people that matter at a specific location?
    Going to the club or bar itself and meeting the player. You need to know whether a promoter handle the bookings or the owner or manager of the club. Also this gives you an idea of the crowd, music played and whether or not you can see yourself playing there.

How do you pass along your press and talk yourself up?
    What has worked for me or at least given me the opportunity to at least have a chat about my service, and at times, play a set as a guest DJ has been to send out a demo CD to the people that matters. With the CD, I put my business cards in there. On my business cards, I have my website, which in itself is a press kit. www.djaltadeo.com Its not fancy, but its straight and to the point. Also included is my soundcloud and facebook pages. As well as phone number and email

Also the CD's I send out are lightscribed with my logo, website, phone# and email

This route actually got me my 2 nights a month residency.

What do you charge per set?
    I take inventory of the cost of my equipment and my skills and price accordingly.

Heed these words. DJ'ing is a sales job. You have to sell yourself, your image, and your skills.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 11-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.

the ONLY way to get gigs is to actually show face at the events/clubs you want to be playing at. you need to go out & support, talk to those involved (djs, promoters, owners, managers, etc.). DO NOT be too pushy. DO NOT ask for something 5 minutes into meeting them. let them know who you are, etc. when you've "supported" enough gigs and these people know you, you may want to mention something about bookings and what you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    ...[/B]
    +rep

oh wait..lol

Quote Originally Posted by djshemeck View Post
    When you go to promoters they will ask you this:
    How many people can you bring? - based on that answer you might or might not get a gig.

Thats all.

Your skills are irrelevant, you can show up with ipod to a gig...
    Pretty much. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by djshemeck View Post
    When you go to promoters they will ask you this:
    How many people can you bring? - based on that answer you might or might not get a gig.

Thats all.

Your skills are irrelevant, you can show up with ipod to a gig...
    That about sums it up for promoters. They don't promote really, they get DJ's with a following or dumbass college kids to promote for them.

I will also add that, that is the reason why most promoter run events will have an un Godly amount of DJ's playing in one night. Some promoters will even MAKE you sell tickets. DJ the sells the most ticket gets the prime spot.

Tech Student

Start producing your own tunes, be original.