How many of you regularly do personal track edits of stuff you DJ often with?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How many of you regularly do personal track edits of stuff you DJ often with?

I have been wanting to start doing this. I've been wanting to personalize the DJ process a bit more and start editing some of the tracks I really like to mix with. Usually there is just small arrangement changes I want to make to work something more into my style or cut out certain sections to shorten some longer tracks. I feel like it is also a way to really get more involved and creative with the process and really know your tracks inside and out if you are altering them.

I know a lot of DJs and producers will DJ exclusively with original material, remixes, and custom edits of other people's tracks when they play out live and I think there is something to be said for that. So I'm wondering if many of you do this and what types of changes you make to enhance or fit a track to your style. There is also something to be said for keeping the original mix as it was produced and mastered so I'm interested to hear both sides.

As a bonus maybe post up some of your track edits along with a link to the original, I would be curious what they sound like side by side.

Tech Convert

I've just started doing this a bit and I would definitely recommend it. I'm a beginner with Soundforge/Ableton etc. but i've found it fairly easy to make simple re-arrangement edits.

The reason I did it was to just make tunes easier for DJing with, particularly stuff like old disco records. Generally i'll just extend a few sections, like the start and end, for easier mixing (so I don't have to mess about with loops and cue points). Sometimes I might cut out a chorus completely, with a few disco tunes I like I hate the main chorus but love the bridges/breaks etc.

I'm not confident enough in my abilities to post any of them unfortunately and there is nothing mindblowing about them anyway, just simple re-arrangements.

I tend to slightly rearrange and shorten tracks using the hot cues in traktor. I use the fade in and fade out flags to mark these spots and have them in numerical order so I know where I am jumping to. This way I can shorten them or keep them original.

I use this for things like starting with the breakdown for an intro to mix into then skipping back to the first verse, skipping the second set of 16 or 32 bars of a repeated phrase, and sometimes just to cut out a verse of a long song. I am using the term verse loosely as in not all music has lyrics.

Banned

Hey, you okay, I like new friends, I wish you a happy day

Quote Originally Posted by concer View Post
    Hey, you okay, I like new friends, I wish you a happy day
    this ^.... lol

Some songs have great intros and i will just copy that part and save it under a new file name. ex. the intro has a great kick and clap that goes great with another song playing, so i will sample it in. or use lyrics to throw in. basically creating mini loops or samples saved as a new track in traktor. i found it easier and quicker to have it in a folder this way.

i hope you get what im saying. im terrible at putting the thoughts in my mind into words.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Damn spammer bot muther f&#kers. Getting sick of them.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Damn spammer bot muther f&#kers. Getting sick of them.
    haha i know right? none of them make any sense either.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Been doing it for YEARS!

But more so when I used CD's mostly...now I just put a cue point if I want to skip a part of a track.

Then....we cut it out in SoundForge and burn it back to CD.

First I did it was for a track called The Raver by Tortured Brain.

Sick track....but had this LAME part in it. Cut it out and added a section that was basically just a repeat of a section and worked the charm!

Did it a lot for psytrance tracks with a very well known vocal in it. Everyone knew the track when they heard that part of the break etc....and it would be naff to play it.

So I removed that section and a year later was jamming it at a party....had so many people asking me who and what it was.

They would not believe me when I told them.

Jess would know it.... Eskimo - Party Pooper.

"sorry everyone....the police are here and we had to stop the party!"
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Recently I've been using Ableton to warp acapellas and match them closer to a metronome beat in the bpm range of the other songs that I'd be mixing that track with.

Currently working with Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap and San Francisco (If You're Going) by Scott McKenzie.

Although there are remix versions I like, the instrumental backing can be a little much if I'm layering it on top of something else, so its much easier to just make my own beat-responsive acapella track to use with a wider possible range of songs.

yeah I've chopped out the lame synth solo from Don't Stop Til You Get Enough by MJ... much better!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast